Bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wandering of its ever an option to install bifold doors without an rsj. Just screwed into roof joists. Is this a poor idea. Thanks

Sponsored Links
With respect to the opening as above.

Assuming the bifold is floor supported (as opposed to suspended from above as some are) it may not need a beam above per se but would need adequate support/restraint due to wind loading's and keeping the whole frame rigid etc.

Do you already have an opening wide enough to fit bi-fold doors? If yes, then you need to check there is currently a lintel of some sort to hold up the structure above, even if it is just the roof beams in a bungalow.
If you don't already have an opening then you will definitely need a correctly sized lintel. Even a standard window has, (or should have), a lintel above it.

Sponsored Links
Hi , thanks for the replies ,,,,, I guess somebody is trying to cut corners :(:(:(:(.

Tell us more. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you would have an opening, doors, roof above and nothing supporting the span above the opening....o_O

My argument as well, I know nothing about building… so I guess it was going to be a quick in out make a quick buck never to be seen again job.
So when doors start to not open properly , cracks in plaster appear etc etc . Hey Mr builder . Sorry not available

Hi , thanks for the replies ,,,,, I guess somebody is trying to cut corners :(:(:(:(.

Is this a builders proposal or yours?
Please don't say you or a builder has already started/finished doing it this way!

Tried convincing me that’s the way it should be . There now looking for work somewhere else…I’ve told them to pack there stuff up…… Apparently it’s fine to screw doors up-to roof joists.

My argument as well, I know nothing about building… so I guess it was going to be a quick in out make a quick buck never to be seen again job.
So when doors start to not open properly , cracks in plaster appear etc etc . Hey Mr builder . Sorry not available

where did you get the bodgit and scarper from?.... -checkacowboy, rated yeehaw, untrusted trader.....

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you would have an opening, doors, roof above and nothing supporting the span above the opening...
Flat roof, joists parallel to the opening and the doors on bottom runners not top hung. :p

There’s a wooden joist above the opening , I’ve measured the height on both sides and there’s 36 mm difference from one side to the other . Seems a big gap .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back