Big bang noise and pipe moving!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted a secondary easy shut off valve on the water straight after the mains stop cock.

Now when the toilet sink tap is turned off there is a big noise and the pipe is moving inside the Hep2o valve.

Is this normal as I have never experienced this.

All the pipes are clipped ok and the right fittings have been used. Really puzzled.

Sponsored Links
Correct pipe, correct insert, pipe fully home, pipe cut fully square to the insert? Can't say I've ever seen that either, almost as if the pipe isn't fully seated inside the fitting and it has room to move, which isn't right.

Very strange. I fitted these before in another rental without any issues. I used the Hep2o collars that are not flat as the John guest but it is a hep2O valve so I never really mix. Bizzare. I might change the valve to a Pegler one compression type and see if that’s any better.

Sponsored Links
Just called Hep2O and they told me is water hammer.

Flowing water has inertia. Your so suddenly turning the water off, means the water's inertia suddenly has nowhere to go, so it will impact on the pipe movement.

May I ask, what do you guys recommend, I am between a few options to stop the noise.

1. Insert a pressure control regulator valve to reduce pressure and if that does not work,

2. Install a small expansion vessel

What do people recommend?
I am looking for something that is low maintenance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.52.49.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.52.49.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.53.00.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.53.00.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.55.18.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 16.55.18.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 28
Get a test gauge and test for high pressure if it's above 3 then a PRV should sort it. Hammer (hydraulic shock) is usually down to excessive pressure or loose pipes. Weird that Wavin would put it down to hammer, I still wouldn't expect the pipe to move in such a way. Can't say I've ever seen it and I've pressurised their plastic to some pretty high pressures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back