Big difference in building quotes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, after some advice, ideally before lunchtime today when I meet up witha builder to discuss his quote.

I've just had planning permission passed on a single storey kitchen/diner extension measuring 6x5m and my worry is the big difference between the two quotes Ive had in.

The extension is to consist of a large (1.5mx3m) skylight, flat roof, upvc double glazed french doors with 'matching' full height glass panels either side, an above average number of electrics work (20 double sockets, 20 downlighters/light fittings in addition to LED plinth lighting and under unit lighting), moving an existing or installing a new boiler etc and fitting a new kitchen.

The priced job should be consisting of everything from 1m deep footings dug to floors and walls tiled!

All Ive agreed to supply is sockets, light fittings, the actual kitchen units and appliances and a new boiler is required.

Now, here is my problem, one which has actually kept me up most of the night worrying! :oops:

The first quote I had at the beginning of last week came in at 34k. This is for a guy that was recommended and from all that I've since heard, his work is exceptional BUT he stated he had been as aggressive as possible on the pricing front for me.

I received a second quote yesterday for £25,500 "for the identical spec" - both builders had copies of the architects plans to take take a way before quoting and I had the same conversation with each regarding my expectations.

So, not being an expert or even very knowlegeable at all on electrics, building techniques etc etc should I be worried by the difference.

Financially it would make a big difference to mine and my families life if we could go with the cheaper quote but Ive always believed that you get what you pay for! Is it as straight forward as; if the job is much cheaper then corners will be cut?!

Just how can there be such a difference in the quotes; £8,500 difference on a relatively small job doesnt add up to me?!

Any advice on any specifics I should be asking the builder about how he is achieving this cheaper price would be VERY greatfully received. As I say, the cheaper quote seems very good indeed but I have this large nagging doubt in my head. The guy is keen to start Monday and the only reason mentioned by him for being cheaper is that its an easy job for him 2 minutes away from where he lives (he literally lives at the other end of the road.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sponsored Links
If he lives @ the end of the road , ask him to allow you to see previous jobs /talk to owners. The other more expensive guy would tell you he`s kept the price tight THATS what you punters want to hear in a recession. No dis respect, and his work should be checked like the other guy. Apart from that, it`s usual to get 3 quotes. ;)

Getting quotes based on planning drawings that you will hold the builder to is a recipe for disaster. You should also be wary of a builder who can start on Monday. The ballpark figure for extensions is about £1000/m2 so if you got one more quote and it came in at £30,000 the others would'nt seem so different.

The price difference quoted is not unusual, although the higher one is much too high.

Builders will have different pricing methods, supplier costs, labour rates, hire costs/plant ownership etc so quotes will differ.

It is not really the clients business to know how quotes are built up. The only figure that matters is that the actual quote, and if this is based on the same specification and other things are equal, then the lowest quote is the one to go for

Sponsored Links
go the the cheaper one. this guy has loaded it for you as its a recommend.

Well, we had our little meeting and I have to say it all seems good. He seems very flexible as to how I want specifics done and appeared to be asking all the right questions from my perspective.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly. Normally, as above, I'd go with three quotes but Im happy to let him start on Monday.

Thanks for all the above advice guys,

Lee

I'm sure you're right to go with the cheaper builder. But being able to start on Monday - that's the easy bit!!

He'll turn up on Monday, dump a load of stuff, and that'll be it for the next few weeks, he won't answer your calls, and he'll always be out when you call round.

Only joking, I hope.

I'm sure you're right to go with the cheaper builder. But being able to start on Monday - that's the easy bit!!

He'll turn up on Monday, dump a load of stuff, and that'll be it for the next few weeks, he won't answer your calls, and he'll always be out when you call round.

Only joking, I hope.

Funny, you should say that as he's just been round to drop off some tools and a cement mixer! :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:

He's going to get someone on site tomorrow now to start on the footings. :)

I'll report back on Monday as to whether he showed up again. :LOL:

If you haven't yet officially agreed or signed anything in terms of a contract, you probably should.

You should also discuss programme. If you can both agree on a completion date, you could offer him an incentive to actually meet it. Like offer an extra £1000 if he gets it done when he says.

The flip side is that he doesn't get it done by the deadline, but he says it's your fault as you didn't choose the paint/decide on the windows etc etc. So you still have to give him the £1000 but the job drags on for six months longer.

Just a thought.

It's why I'd rather d-i-m.

If you haven't yet officially agreed or signed anything in terms of a contract, you probably should.

You should also discuss programme. If you can both agree on a completion date, you could offer him an incentive to actually meet it. Like offer an extra £1000 if he gets it done when he says.

The flip side is that he doesn't get it done by the deadline, but he says it's your fault as you didn't choose the paint/decide on the windows etc etc. So you still have to give him the £1000 but the job drags on for six months longer.

Just a thought.

It's why I'd rather d-i-m.

Very useful info - thanks. Ive actually asked him to do a full written quote (he's dropping this in tomorrow) and I said I'd be staggering the payments - he asked for 5k upfront which tbh I think is more than reasonable given the fact he has the materials to start laying out for. I'll be keeping the last payment back unitl its completed. He reckons 8 weeks in all starting from tomorrow - I'd be happy with 10 saying that though (obviously I wont be telling him that!)

But he seems a pretty fair chap, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Lee

From what i can gather based on the info given, and bearing in mind that building extensions of this size and content is my bread and butter, i would say that the quote for £25k is very lean.

The building work alone will cost this much, with fitting the electrics, kitchen, tiling etc as an added cost.

Good luck.

I'd go with Noseall, think the 25k is cheap considering the number of lights etc, windows & kitchen fitting.
However it is a very slack time & owt is often better than nowt. On a starting point of 1000/sqmtr plus all your bits inc velux etc then 35k isn't exorbitant, just the higher side of cheap.
A decent extension these days really does cost 1000/metre or thereabouts, if the cheaper guy has any realistic form, then I'd bite his hand off, but I would not offer or accept an up front payment. Three stages - dpc, wall plate/chamber & completion has always sufficed & should still do.

Hi

Be wary and definitely do not part with all the money until you are satisfied the work has been completed satisfactorily. You should consider holding back around 10-15%, some people may say 5% but what builders hate is going back over other people's mistakes and they will usually charge a premium for such services.

You should introduce interim payments as sections of the work are completed, for example - Foundations 10% (£2,550.00); Brickwork up to wall plate (including all doors and glazing say 40% (£10,200.00); Roof (complete with roof light) say 20% (£5,100); Internal works to completion say 20% (£5,100.00) Balance 10% (£2,550.00) as retention, say payable within 14 days if you are completely satisfied with the work! If you are not satisfied hold back the retention until you are!

If he asks for a disproportionate wedge of money upfront you need to be a bit wary, as this is normally a sign of financial difficulties and once he has the majority of the money there will be no incentive to do any actual work!
Not all builders are like this but there are a minority that are and they make life a misery. Some small builders may request a payment upfront to cover materials and any plant hire which is not out of the ordinary but this should be no more than say 20% of the project value - then you will need to discount the above figures accordingly.

Regards

probably a bit late to advise on what he should be doing as this was 5 months ago!
I would hope its all finished by now - be nice to get an update

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back