Big hole under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new house and am doing a complete renovation.

There's a bad smell and I could tell there was a leak under the kitchen sink. Having pulled it all out (including a baking tray of stagnant water) there is a hole about a foot square. In this hole is the mains water pipe, as well as the waste/soil pipe from the sink.

One issue is the stop cock is really low and in such a stupid position. It'd be impossible to turn off if the units were in place. Is this possible to move?

Secondly, and probably most seriously (I think), is that this hole (which has stone, gravel etc at the bottom) seems to have broken what I believe to be the damp proof membrane. You can see this blue material in the front corners of the holes.

What are the implications of this and what is the remedy?

View media item 73235

Sponsored Links
extend the blue MDPE pipe and maybe as a temp, 10 or so rat traps, get them before Splinter mobilities the TMNT, Leonardo in particular.

extend the blue MDPE pipe and maybe as a temp, 10 or so rat traps, get them before Splinter mobilities the TMNT, Leonardo in particular.

Thanks Gav.

Funnily enough I did notice what I thought was mouse droppings. This presumably is where they come in?

Thanks Gav.

Funnily enough I did notice what I thought was mouse droppings. This presumably is where they come in?
I was joking, unless you are putting cheese out, you should be alright :D

Age of property? and who did you kill to take this picture! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Thanks Gav.

I was joking, unless you are putting cheese out, you should be alright :D

Age of property? and who did you kill to take this picture! :LOL:

I might still put them down. lol

Property was built in 1996, and I'm not sure but it sure smells like someone has died. :confused: lol

Property was built in 1996, and I'm not sure but it sure smells like someone has died. :confused: lol
I have watched at least 6 episode of Dexter, so pretty up on my blood splatter :LOL:

Sounds horrible, but get you nose to where it is actually coming from, if really deep, means chopping concrete away :cry:

I have watched at least 6 episode of Dexter, so pretty up on my blood splatter :LOL:

Sounds horrible, but get you nose to where it is actually coming from, if really deep, means chopping concrete away :cry:

Presumably I'm gonna have to fill it in with something? Concrete? Expanding foam? :confused:

What about the damp proof membrane, assuming that's what it is? Do I need to get this fixed?

To be honest it don't look that bad. Stop cock is a little low but seen worse. I would lag the mdpe to protect it then fill the hole with sand and cement. Fit a new waste adapter to make sure the seal is ok! Job done.

To be honest it don't look that bad. Stop cock is a little low but seen worse. I would lag the mdpe to protect it then fill the hole with sand and cement. Fit a new waste adapter to make sure the seal is ok! Job done.

Thanks Neil. Is this quite common then?

Am getting the stop cock raised so I can cut the rear of the unit to access it. It's virtually impossible to access in its current position.

Mdpe, is that the name for the blue mains water pipe? Sorry for the dumb question, but what should I lag it with?

That's great, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back