Big mistake !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've opened my big mouth, saying to my wife our kitchen island was looking a little tired.
Big mistake !

We're now replacing the whole kitchen, will I ever learn.

To save a little money I'm hoping to re-jig the lighting myself, replacing a single switch that turns on two lights to three switches that operate a track system turning on and off different sections of the track.

At the moment I have a single cable going from the switch, traced into the wall, that goes into the ceiling to the first light in the first half of the kitchen.

I'm thinking I will have to cut into the wall plaster to free the cable to the ceiling, Then attach three cables to it and pull them through to the first light. Attach each cable to each switch then wire each lighting section to the fitting in the ceiling.
My question is in three parts
1) I'm I right,
2) What equipment will I need
3) How do I wire the three lighting sections to the connection in the ceiling.

Thanks in advance

T, Manchester

Sponsored Links
Without knowing what is there already is impossible to tell! I'm not entirely sure that you can get a track light as you say - someone else who does this day to day will hopefully be along shortly. Or do you mean 3 separate tracks?
The work you describe will be notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

I've seen track lights with two sections (inner and outer - think it was JCC kit) with two switches, but can't recall three-part track. As you say, Spark, might be three in a line.

pj

Sponsored Links
1) I'm I right,
Not exactly - the cables from the switch should go to the replacement lights, not "the fitting in the ceiling" - you're getting rid of that.

Read all of the articles here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

2) What equipment will I need
  • Insulation Resistance tester
  • Continuity tester
  • Earth Fault Loop Impedance tester
  • RCD tester
(a & b are often combined)

Or a multifunction tester.

3) How do I wire the three lighting sections to the connection in the ceiling.
:?: See above - what is this "connection in the ceiling"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back