Big or small electrics job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for a bit of guidance on some electrics in a house i am hoping to buy.

I have had an electrical safety check done, as i wanted to check there was nothing major wrong before i went through with the sale at the current price.

The check came back as the condition of the electrics being unsatisfactory, which didn't surprise me as it is an old house and i expected something to be wrong.

The recommendations/comments made are listed below:

Main earth conductor undersized
No RCD protection for any circuit
High earth reading on 2 lounge sockets and 1 bedroom socket
Bathroom light fitting not splashproof
No equipotential bonding to water / gas pipework
No supplementary bonding in bathroom
Immersion heater flex still connected and live, though no heater connected
Unable to determine means of earthing

I understand that some of these jobs are small tasks, but some of them are slightly more complex.

Could anyone give me a rundown of the complexity and cost of any or all of the listed tasks?

Also what does high earth reading mean?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound too bad no re-wire recommended? I would suggest a new fuse board and the jobs listed you would be looking at £600-£800 at guess. Main earth under sized- but then means of earthing not determined?? Or was that a piticular circuit?

High reading on the sockets could be loose connection dodgy junction box could be big can of worms

not too bad at all.. if the house is empty why not rewire it .

high earth reading could be just a loose connection in the back of a socket..

dont understand why he cant determine the means of earthing...what what his Ze reading,, that should be at the being of the certificate..

not complex at all..

Sponsored Links
Probably means the main earth emerges from the cutout and it's not clear if it's TN-S or TN-C-S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back