birds and squirrels in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the builders finished the extension to our house they left us with a few gaps at the top of the house under the roof. First we knew of it was when we heard the chirping noise in the loft, obviously couldn't toss them out because there were little babies in the nest.

The hole is quite difficult to reach from the inside,we've tried to block up the holes with planks of wood and have managed to make them smaller but now the local squirrel family are looking for somewhere to store their nuts.

Anyone got any ideas on how to block up these holes, I was thinking of making a bag filled with chopped up wood or maybe plastic to mould into the hole, like a bean bag , something the wildlife can't make a nest out of

Sponsored Links
If you do have squirrels getting in then be prepared for re-wiring the place - they seem to enjoy gnawing on electrical cables.

If you block their way in with a 'beanbag' that probably won't last long if they have an incentive to get through it. I have seen a squirrel gnaw a hole through a plastic baker's tray in a couple of minutes trying to get to some bread inside. One even managed to gnaw through piece of galvanised wire that was holding a coconut on a bird feeder.

Sponsored Links
Maybe some expanding foam?

mmmmmmmmm delicious

Aye it has many uses ;)

whippedcream.jpg

I've come over all faint........
By yourself an air gun.

Get the holes blocked up and metal vents installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back