Birds getting in under dry verge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

We're being driven absolutely crazy by birds at the moment that are managing (i believe) to get into the wall cavity in our bedroom underneath the dry verge (hoping thats the correct term).

Photo from front:

IMG0007-L.jpg

from underneath guttering

IMG0008-L.jpg

Bearing in mind i'm not exactly great at DIY, could someone suggest how I can fix this? I assume if I just push it back, they'll manage to get back in. Can I secure it in some way with silicone/adhesive? Is there normally mortar under the dry verge?

Its a rented property, so I'm looking for some quick and inexpensive as the landlord seems uninterested :(

Sponsored Links
Dont know if they are entering through spaces in the poorly fitted verges but more likely to gain access under the tiles at the eaves if there are no filler units installed.

Not a quick fix imo best to keep on at landlord.

Google bird comb filler units.

We've seen them specifically entering via this point, house sparrows I believe. We can hear them scratching and flapping throughout the night/mornings definitely across the back wall rather than the wall with the eaves, although that could still be an entry point. There are no signs in the attic of entry.

We have the same tiles on a porch at the front of the house and the gap between each hump in the tiles is tiny, struggle to get a finger in so hopefully its not that.

Not sure if that was a joke about the chicken wire/staple gun? Sounds like a nice cheap fix if not.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if that was a joke about the chicken wire/staple gun? Sounds like a nice cheap fix if not.

No joke, I have done this before for various customers who had birds entering their loft space.

You can buy 600mm x 1000mm sheets of squared chicken wire from wickes and bend it into shape. A staple gun will ensure it wont fall out.

Andy

No joke, I have done this before for various customers who had birds entering their loft space.

You can buy 600mm x 1000mm sheets of squared chicken wire from wickes and bend it into shape. A staple gun will ensure it wont fall out.

Andy

Cool, do you mean using the staple gun into the bricks?

Because of the guttering position, its really hard to see. I haven't got a ladder atm, but I will be lending one off of my boss. Do you have any idea what brand these might be if they don't have any fitted, so I can source some if not?

These are photos of my neighbours houses as its easier to see from the bedroom window due to the angle. One side looks like it was poorly cut when fitted. I can't see any signs of blocks fitted on theirs:

resized-L.jpg

Another neighbour

IMG0012-M.jpg

I watched a few birds again disappear under the corner again this morning from the reflection in my cars window. I might just try and wrap the end in some chicken wire to block off the hole that must be there.

They look like Marley verge units. With the Marley ones you have a purpose made starter verge which has a stopper built in, but looking at your neighbours units it appears it has been modified with a saw.

The biggest issue with verges is that the door knockers who own caravans con joe public to let them bodge these units on.
It is worth paying a reputable roofer to do the work with the correct gear.

All the houses in this little cul de sac have the same dry verges fitted, so I assume they were fitted when the houses were built back in 1995(ish).

Is it easy to remove the end and fit one with a blocker? If so, do you know a suitable place to buy one from?

If not, can you think of a way I could easily block off the end and re-secure it to the roof?

Sorry for all the questions!

Forget what I said before, after looking closely at the side profile of the verge and photos of marley ones, they're very similar but it looks like marley ones don't overlap in the same way as these ones do. They're probably just cheapo generic ones... can't seem to find any that look the same on google images :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back