Bit more help on my roof as the years go by...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have always received fantastic help here, so I'm asking for another bit of kind advice, please.

I am gradually doing and getting my house done as the years go by. Kids being, work, a business and a part time degree are taking up time, but I try at every chance I get.

Got my roof re-felted, chimney removed but I'm still not 100% happy that there shouldn't be a bit less condensation up there. In periods of extreme cold and humidity the joists are cold and slightly moist to the touch where they nearest the coldest area of the loft (where my roof is raised from the terrace line to allow for the bend in the road). My moisture meter zooms to red on those areas, although nothing is dripping or anything.

Where I need a touch of kind help is just on a couple of areas so that I can kill the issue before next winter.

1. What is the best atmospheric meter to use and is it worth it?

2. Are those covers for inside the loft hatch worth it? I have a well fitted sealed ladder hatch.

3. Does that creature on my photos look like a bad thing?

I can't explain enough how helpful the advice has been to me here, so if you could help please, that would be ace.

Thank you kindly

Niven

Sponsored Links
Ok.... my advice come from a non-roofing professional perspective....just what I have learnt myself....

It looks like you re-felted with a breathable membrane. Did you get new insulation at the same time as I see you seem to have a good amount up there.

How tightly packed is this going into the eaves? The insulation should not be blocking airflow into the roof. Good airflow is vital. A roof needs to breathe....See this image below of good and bad practice....

View media item 76282

Hard to tell, but it looks to be a larvae of some sort. It could be wood worm, but it is much browner in colour compared to the examples I can see in google images. Are there any small holes in the timber up in the loft? Were they alive or dead. How big are they. Were there any other "creatures" up there. Beetles of any kind....

It could just be random blue bottle lave or something that were laid in the loft......if there is no evidence of eaten wood then it is more likely to be that....

Here is a woodworm identification guide.

taps://safeguardstore.co.uk/woodworm-identification-guide/

Hope that helps or gives you a starting point...

Just a thought, but after reading horror stories about condensation and lofts, I went up there one winters night to see what the situation in my loft was. What I noticed is that the felt hangs down slightly between some of the rafters, which essentially seems to allow air to pass under the tiles into the loft whilst keeping water out.

Infact on a windy day you can feel the breeze inside the loft. The woodwork also looks perfect, damp wise. Take a look at my thread re: bendy purlins (seperate issue!).

I have heard of people using half bits of pipe or guttering stuffed part down the joins in roofing felt to create an airgap in to help circulation.

NivenSW. Hi,

A couple of things, the grey roughly egg shaped object may be a Wasp Byke, a Wasp nest?

Another point, on some of the Pictures, it appears that the Party wall does not run up to the roof line, it is possible that there is a lot of condensation emanating from your neighbours loft space. As an aside in the event of a fire next door the fire could jump the party wall Via the gaps between wall and roof

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone,

Thanks ever so for the replies.

KenGMac

Good point about the roof line. On both sides both my neighbours and I have removed chimneys. On the one side, the guy has a loft conversion - boards and everything dry that side and my roof is level to his.

The other, the road bends so I have raised roof with a verge. Neighbours that side could well be poorly insulated and in order to accomodate the missing chimney along the curve there is a large piece of roof that has been made from flashing to fill a sectional gap. That side - damper boards. So good thinking.

etalon

Thanks mate,

Do my purlins look too bendy do you think?

But a very good point about the gap in the felt.

dishman

Again, good point, I don't suppose in this weather, it could hurt just checking and pulling any back slightly.

This is really massive help. Everyone.

Just as a further bit of info. A guy came and did a damp survey for the rest of the house and priced up for trickle vents - probably a good idea; a humidistat fan in bathroom - yep I agree, but also a Nuaire Drymaster.

Does anyone have any experience of them (it is to go in the loft)? Oh, and he reckons the roof is OK, but part of me wonders if that is just not his remit - I don't know I have to weigh everything up.

To anyone who is answering thanks, it is a massive source of help.

Sorry almost forgot dishman. They were dead isolated and no other creatures that I could see. Have looked at the guide and can see what you mean about them being darker than woodworm. Thanks

Cheers

Niven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back