Bit of advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just noticed some cracks on the ceiling were the velux light is in the roof. They run from the corner of the velux along the ceiling. I looked outside and i can now see that the roof now dips in the same corner. Its as if the roof joist has maybe snapped/slipped. It is a victorian property and the velux was already in when we bought the house 2yrs ago. We do remember hearing something when we had the really strong winds couple of weeks ago but thought nothing of it. The roof slate has not cracked just looks like it dips and the velux is slightly off in the corner. Would this be something we could claim of insurance do you think?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a DIY forum, not an insurance claim advice forum, so I recommend you go into your loft and determine what is wrong and either mend it yourself or get a builder to do it for you.

Right thanks for your help it was really good of you to assist with that useless peice of advice. Sorry if your experince is to good to give any constructive advice. I suppose you can have maybe offered an opinion on what may have been wrong but clearly not. Thanks once again and must remember to come to you directly for advice next time as you seem so helpful.

Phone insurance co and ask? Seriously though, when the velux was fitted, ideally the rafters (either side of the ones chopped out to make a velux-sized hole) should have been doubled up or braced.
If they haven't, they're holding up double the amount of tiles they were deisgned to support. Hence the flex/sag/break.
Chop out some plasterboard and take a look - it's what any builder/structural engineer would have to do anyway.
If a rafter has actually broken, that sounds like it needs looking at urgently, not on insurance company timescales...

Sponsored Links
Right thanks for your help it was really good of you to assist with that useless peice of advice. Sorry if your experince is to good to give any constructive advice. I suppose you can have maybe offered an opinion on what may have been wrong but clearly not. Thanks once again and must remember to come to you directly for advice next time as you seem so helpful.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Hi

Some solid advice provided by gordonspants! Follow it and you won't go far wrong!

Regards

Its very rare for a rafter to snap. A rafter can bow, but it would be unusual for only one side of a velux to dip - not impossible just not normal.

A cracked or bowing rafter would be clearly seen in the plasterboard, and not easily seen from the outside.

The direction of this crack would be helpful to know as specific movement causes specific cracking

If there is an issue with the rafter then from an insurance point of view, it is either poor work on the velux installation, or wear and tear - non of which are normally covered

You need to monitor the cracking, or determine where any dip is greatest, and remove some plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back