Bit of help on the regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - I kind of know what I'm doing, but am not an electrician and therefore not fully up on the regs. I've trawled through various threads, and think the following statements are true, but could someone just nod their head or otherwise for me, please.

I want to stick a plug socket in my garage, which is also where the fusebox is.....

1) I can run a spur to the mains ring, connecting it at the fusebox, as that seems simplest

2) If I have a double socket, or extend the spur to go to another socket somewhere else in the garage, then I have to have a fused isolator somewhere before the 1st socket. Probably directly above or next to it, I guess

3) If I clip the cable to the surface throughout, I can pretty much run where I want to - It will probably be in the corners of the ceiling and then vertical drops to the sockets.

4) For Part P purposes, I did this all last year.

Does that sound about right. Be kind if not, and is there anything else I've missed out ?

Sponsored Links
1: yes. taking it a spur from the CU is just as good as form a socket, altho could you not make a 16A radial?

2:you cannot put a fused spur after the first socket. it will have to go between CU and first socket, or do as suggested and make a 16A radial

3: i wouldnt recommend it. the cable should have some sort of protection. use either trunking or plastic conduit

4: yes, Mr P, all electrical work was completed last year... i just decided to replace sockets which is why there dated 05...

jtaunton said:
1) I can run a spur to the mains ring, connecting it at the fusebox, as that seems simplest
Yes, recommend 2.5mm² twin+earth for this. Another thing, if the socket is likely to be used for outside use it should either be RCD protected at the fuse box or put one of the powerbreaker type sockets in.
2) If I have a double socket, or extend the spur to go to another socket somewhere else in the garage, then I have to have a fused isolator somewhere before the 1st socket. Probably directly above or next to it, I guess
Yes, although a fuse spur unit (13A) will be adequate, no need for an isolator. It has to be connected in before the first socket.
3) If I clip the cable to the surface throughout, I can pretty much run where I want to - It will probably be in the corners of the ceiling and then vertical drops to the sockets.
So long as the cable is not positioned to as to get damaged by anything hitting it etc. You may be better running some of it in trunking.
4) For Part P purposes, I did this all last year.
Of course you did, December 2004 was the busiest period for electricians known to mankind........

Spark123 said:
Of course you did, December 2004 was the busiest period for electricians known to mankind........

goverment over part p

'it appears as tho every electrician was workin approximatly 35 hours per day every day during december 2004 going by the amount of work done...'

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you !!! :D :D

That's next Saturday morning accounted for.....

No, No, No, its a Saturday in December 2004 accounted for, come on man, get your facts in order now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back