bits in cold water in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, recently i have found small black bits in the cold water in the bathroom the bits are soft and can be smudged away.my supply comes from the tank in the loft.can anyone help please.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like something has dropped into the tank in the loft.

You need to get up there and check that nothing has 'died' in the tank!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like something has dropped into the tank in the loft.

You need to get up there and check that nothing has 'died' in the tank!
thanks done that swished the water round a lot [it was cold man]until all the bits dispersed and now the problem seems to have gone.

Rubber that falls apart tends to be harder than new rubber, that is why it falls apart.
You are most likely dealing with something that was alive at some point and has died since.
Depending on how squeamish you are, the solutions vary from don't worry and use a bit more toothpaste to get rid of the taste of dead things, to converting all the taps to clean mains fed water.

.....or empty the tank, wet vac/clean it out.

refill and make sure the lid is sealed.

I would certainly empty it and scrub it out, wipe round with bleach, rinse, re-drain it using the COLD bath tap (don't use the hot tap or you will draw the corpse into the cylinder.

Make sure your hot water cylinder is hot at 60C or more, at least until you have finished the cleaning, this will prevent most bacteria from multiplying.

I have a feeling you haven't got a lid on the tank. Get one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back