Bitumen on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed an old parquet floor and the old bitumen adhesive is left on the concrete below. It is a very thin layer but is still slightly tacky. Would it be best to remove it (if so, any ideas on the best way) or should I be looking to "skim" over the top (if so what with/how much etc.)?? I'm completly lost at the best thing to do. I've got a large area (40 sq metre) to do. Any help/ideas appreiciated!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It probably sounds daft, but i'm removing the parquet & putting down laminate, on the normal DPM underlay etc. Don't want the bitumen to damage anything by leaving it there. The parquet is so bad condition it's not worth (nor do i have the time) to restore it!

you can get away with just laying the underlay over the top and then fitting your laminate. That is if floor is dry smooth and flat.

It's in very good condition, so I can lay straight on the top!! That would save a massive amount of work trying to clean that large area!! Cheers!

I have been on the subfloor prep course at balls factory in staffordshire.
Your posts are excellent, just stumbled across this website. Could have done with your knowledge on quite a few jobs. So I might be bugging you in the near future. Cheers.

If you in the trade give uzin products a go. They also spot on. But you cant install any of there compounds on floors that read above 75% rh. They will blow with in a week. And you must always prime. Apart from that they very good.

benners66 said:
It's in very good condition, so I can lay straight on the top!! That would save a massive amount of work trying to clean that large area!! Cheers!
don't forget to use a combi-underlayment with a DPM layer included. Always use a DPM layer or combi-underlayment when there's concrete involved (even if it's covered with bitumen residue)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back