Black alkathene fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone familiar with alkathene fittings and sizes?
I'm trying to replace an existing stopcock - black alkothene to 22mm copper. I've taken the existing stopcock off took it in to local Plumb centre and was given a 25mm to 22mm to replace it. When I get it back there is no way that the 25mm alkothene fitting fits. When I compare the old and new fittings the the 25mm outer part of the fitting(threaded part), almost fits in to the old fitting at the alkothene end. It's more like a 28mm copper size and I am thinking that this is what the old fitting is - 28 to 22mm.
Speaking to the PC chap it seems that both black and blue alkothene never had 28mm size but had 25mm and then 32mm. Having looked for fittings from various sources this seems to be the case. I'm looking at the moment to replace it with a 28mm to 22mm copper fitting - do not want to hack around with the existing pipes too much. Realise I may have to reduce via an alkothene fitting. Are there suitable fittings to reduce to 25mm from the larger size using a variable size fitting at one end?

Sponsored Links
Google Plasson or Philmac fittings and you will probably find what you want.

Sponsored Links
the OD of poly pipe went 17.1 / 21.3 / 26.7 / 33.5 / 42.2 [all mm]

for nominal size of 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 32

Note its the first set of sizes that matter as the OD [outside diameter] is were the fitting makes its seal

Calm down, here I am. (Pipe, slippers?!?!)

Philmac fittings are designed to fit both imperial black alkAthene and metric MDPE.
Plumbase should be able to help: Ruthvenfield Road, Inveralmond Industrial Estate, Perth, Perthshire, PH1 3EE (Probably called Plumbline north of the border.)

You are going to be without my sage wisdom for a week, I'm off on me jollies!

Philmac fittings are designed to fit both imperial black alkAthene and metric MDPE.
Plumbase should be able to help: Ruthvenfield Road, Inveralmond Industrial Estate, Perth, Perthshire, PH1 3EE (Probably called Plumbline north of the border.)

Facinating thread because I recall the hassle when these pipes started changing. Was there not also an issue of the same size pipe being in different classes requiring different liners ? I ask because looking at the web sites in the thread I could not see any reference to the use of different class liners. Class C and D seem to ring a bell in my memory from 35+ years back relating to the STWA area.

Facinating thread because I recall the hassle when these pipes started changing. Was there not also an issue of the same size pipe being in different classes requiring different liners ? I ask because looking at the web sites in the thread I could not see any reference to the use of different class liners. Class C and D seem to ring a bell in my memory from 35+ years back relating to the STWA area.

U used to have to use different inserts depending on pipe , was a real pain in the arse. One the phil mc fittings don't use inserts

You are right about the class C/D etc and needing different inserts.
The pipe wall thicknesses were different.

is black pipe all imperial then?

As i remember it (being a cider drinker ;) )black alkathene was imperial but then to confuse matters they bought out a blue metric mdpe pipe that was also available in black :rolleyes:
I could be wrong.

Greetings from a bloody wet Lancashire!

Metric MDPE is available in :
blue for potable water,
black for grey water or potable water if it is to be exposed to UV rays,
yellow for gas,
black with a brown stripe for brownfield sites
black with a green stripe for rainwater harvesting

Black alkathene came in 5 variants
high density class C
high density class D
low density class C
low density class D
normal gauge

All with their individual insert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back