Black Ash veneer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a huge kitchen in my house which is black ash.

I was going to replace the doors but I have changed the handles and it looks really modern.

I have taken out an old built in microwave and want to just put a door on this cupbaord.

Does anybody know where I can get a piece of the black ask stuff from. I presume it is veneered, it's like the old TV/hi fi units. Is it veneered MDF?

I have looked on ebay for a cheap piece of furniture to cut up but they are all collection only from miles away.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is probably veneered MDF or veneered chipboard. You'll struggle to get black ash board these days - even Contiboard (yuk!) doesn't seem to come in black ash any more, but you will find American Ash veneered MDF and chipboard as well as iron-on veneer edging tape. To finish it you'll need to stain the faces with an ebonising mixture before finishing with a lacquer to match your existing units/doors. There is a discussion about ebonising here. The ebonising mix referred to is a Chestnut product and Terry over there will be happy to assist you, I'm sure

Scrit

Not sure how far you want to go but this place used to sell (to order) many colours of faced chipboard and matching edging.

They are in Derby, would be worth a call and will be similar places in Manchester

http://www.harlowbros.co.uk/

I have something similar. Mine is actuallya French Mobalba kitchen with a wood-grain black plastic laminate facing and I wanted to make decor panels for the appliances.

I was able to get (from a merchant of in veneers and laminates) a laminate made of a wood veneer impregnated with plastic resin to turn it into a laminate. It was a stock item. They had a catalogue of various timber veneers that are laminated in this way.

As it is a wood product it curls when the humidity changes if not restrained at the edges or glued down.

Sponsored Links
I have a huge kitchen in my house which is black ash.

I was going to replace the doors but I have changed the handles and it looks really modern.

I have taken out an old built in microwave and want to just put a door on this cupbaord.

Does anybody know where I can get a piece of the black ask stuff from. I presume it is veneered, it's like the old TV/hi fi units. Is it veneered MDF?

I have looked on ebay for a cheap piece of furniture to cut up but they are all collection only from miles away.

Hi Susie D, try looking on "thehomeofdiy.com" I've been looking everywhere for the damn stuff as my good lady would like me to build some wardroabs in it.
After a couple of hours scouring the internet I found this little site. Their prices are excellent as is their delivery charges £5.00 anywhere in UK mainland. Thats for a sheet 2400 x 600 x 15 mm but it is a standard charge accross the board, parden the pun.
Anyway hope this helps.
Regards, Chris. :D
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back