Black debris in pipework.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a boiler system converted to pressurised last year and find the bathroom tap now blocks with fine black particles [has several fine filters in the outlet which catch debris].Would this be from the new hot water tank?

Sponsored Links
Conventional boiler , now unvented cylinder.[boiler moved to loft].
Flexi's are new, definitely not rubber , black grit like substance.

Sponsored Links
How often has it/does it block?
Is the substance magnetic: try putting a magnet to it.
Any photos that could help us?
I'd also contact the installers if it's only been a year.
During the conversion was any old pipework reutilised for new feeds?
What make is the unvented cylinder? Manufacturers might be able to advise if this is to do with the cylinder although I can't see how unless it's a defective one from factory?!

Has blocked 4 times this month, fine previously.
Not magnetic. All new pipework to hot water side.
Will check paperwork for manufacturer.
Can't upload an image at present, site keep reporting a fault.

See if you can trap same substance from another hot outlet by running water through sieve or piece of old net curtain. It might be something in just that tap that is being scoured off by water through it or connecting fittings!

Have you fitted a water-softening device? I got black grit out of the hot taps as old scale broke down when the softener was first fitted.

If I have run out of salt, I get a film of scale in the kettle, which flakes off dark grey once the water is soft again.

Limescale deposits will fizz and dissolve in vinegar.

Took the shower head off [has a filter] but was clean.
No water softener, deposits are black though some have a hint of green

If it's only at that outlet then it sounds like it's that tap or pipework legs to it! If there aren't any other components on that run such as a NRV or TMV then speak to the tap supplier, if it's still in warranty. Is it a named brand? Is it a mixer? You could leave the filters out and give it a good flush through. Green might be Verdi Gris oxidisation. You could take tap cartridge out and give it a good clean/descale.
If it's a cheapo tap then change it for better...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back