Black dust between block and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a corner in a house which I assume is damp (outside path is too high) which I will tackle as the source of the issue before any internal work.

I removed some of the loose wallpaper in that location and the plaster skim is loose too. Upon removing this there appears to be a black dust between block and plaster.

For information the house is concrete block construction with as yet unknown external render, circa 1930 build.

It appeared to be coal dust like, but I wanted to check that it wasn't anything more sinister? Mould growing?

Links to a couple of pics. I welcome your thoughts/ experience. As it's a bit of a project house I'll apologise now for a raft of questions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KCwLlgi2KAhDhn4_x_pQ83LbnjntK06H/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DN3DJFv-mR2EVcadSa6KAagSsfnTnoqG/view?usp=drivesdk

The timber in that area appears to be very solid, whereas I was expecting it to be rotten.

Sponsored Links
it looks to me like water has run down that wall, so it could be black mildew.

I've also seen black and brown stains when water leaked down a chimney, but it had a sooty smell and the stain was tarry.

pull the skirting off the walls at the corner. have you had a bit of flooring up to see the joists for any damage?
the outside path has raised ground level and bridged the render an maybe any dpc in the wall. the render should stop short of the ground.
the black stuff could have been used to paint the render and the inside.
after going back to block what are you going to do?

Sponsored Links
I've not been able to be too intrusive as we have not signed for it.

The joists span in the same direction as this troublesome wall, so there are no joist ends in that wall. There does seem to be evidence of wood replacement of the floor boards in this area. I'm expecting some issues if I'm honest with the woodwork against this wall.

We plan to go back to bare block, wood/wool insulation board and lime render. See if we can let the wall breath...or that was the current thinking. At the moment the wall can't breathe from either side.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back