Black Fabric Sofa Off Colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a black sofa from Argos about 2 years ago, it is the main sofa, but the arms of the sofa have faded color slightly with people leanging on them etc, the sofa is still as good as new frame wise, and 90% of the fabric is pristine, but the arms are faded a lighter black in areas. My 6 year old son got a grease mark from his hands yesterday on the arm, and as always with grease, I used washing up liquid to clean it, but its left more faded discoloring marks, duh. What is the cheapest most effective way to repair this off color on the arms? I dont want to rip the fabric off and re-do it because:

1) I wouldnt know where to start
2) Finding matching fabric would be a nightmare

Someone suggested spray paint on another forum for upholstery, but this sounds a bit weird to me. I mean who is to say it will look right? Does anyone have any tips?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the dumb answer, of course I have, BUT I have never heard or used this product so I am asking here for advice, sending me to Google just puts me back to square one, next please?

Sponsored Links
Come on the OP bought a sofa from Argos and expected it not to fade, show some sympathy! Reminds me of that stroke fella on here recently who was ridiculed for his bad english! :LOL:

They never say thanks for anything either, another one of 'them'. :rolleyes:

Surely the cheapest solution is to buy another sofa from argos they only charge about £2.50 for sofa. Its a mystery why they fade! :mrgreen:

Why ask for advice and then complain about it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Go back and read your advice, it was totally useless. The next guy might have acted a prick as well, but at least I got something constructive from his post (Argos sofa's are useless) But back to the issue, you clearly don't know, so I'll ask if anyone who DOES have a clue, will let me know what my best option is. Void of buying a new sofa.

Why not spray the whole sofa, that way you don't need to worry about it matching?

Thanks, I thought of doing that, but the sofa is still in really good condition, like new minus the faded arms in small areas. So it would seem a little overkill.

If you go for Ikea's Ektorp range, replacement covers are readily available, and in a variety of colours, too.
Personally speaking, I wont buy expensive furniture again when you can get stuff like this.
John :)

My mum bought a leather 2 seater and a 1 seat sofa from DFS 7 years ago for £3600, a year after she bought it she passed away so i inherited it, my GSD jumps all over it, sleeps on it, licks it, claws at it when her toy has fell in between the cushions, i give it a quick wipe and its still as good as new.

On the other hand my girlfriend bought a cheap italian leather sofa from argos once, her cat left claw marks on all the arm rests, scratched the leather, left holes all over it, the chrome legs buckled and some even snapped off, all this and it was only a year old.

She put it down to the fact that seeing as it was only a quarter of the cost of mine it must of been a chuck away item.

The moral of this story is........HE WHO BUYS CHEAP BUYS TWICE

What about replacing the arms with bits of a car like this?

sofas-racing-car.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back