black sludge keeps returning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My combi boiler system keeps getting alot black crap in there.

The system has been power flushed.

It has had mulitple amounts of cleaner run through it for 1 week at a time

All the rads have been removed and cleaned through.

It keeps getting really drirty and blocking the heat plate up that needs removing and chemical clean every 6 months.

Every time the system is flushed it has a inhibitor put back in. Also when its flushed throughits flushed until the water coming out the drain point is clear.

Why does it keep doing this?

My next idea is to fit a Megaclean thing that goes in the pipe work.

On my other property the boiler has been in 6 years with no issues and the water i drained out last week was still clean.

Sponsored Links
last few momths ? it will not be that than ? not that it is relevant to you ?? but some did not use the barrier hep 2o , which did not stop oxygen ingress into the pipe ! some systems that had or used the non barrier would sludge up in less than a year , clean it out , same thing will happen again !!

Sponsored Links
last few momths ? it will not be that than ? not that it is relevant to you ?? but some did not use the barrier hep 2o , which did not stop oxygen ingress into the pipe ! some systems that had or used the non barrier would sludge up in less than a year , clean it out , same thing will happen again !!

I guess it would also introduce air into the system that would need bleeding alot ?

Not that i have that issue, just intrested.

it might be wise for me to add that the boiler now was installed on old pipework.

The boiler previous was a gloworm and failed after it was a few years old.

I simply had it replaced with a heatline that was recommened but if i knew what i knew now i would of had the glowworm repared as my heatline suffers from the same fault that is down to the heat plate blocking up.

Guess thats what you get tho for listening to a crap plumber at the time!

im afraid i can only assume youve been ripped off and mis led,

1 glowworm are better than heatline by miles

2 if all that was happening was a blocked plate then a proper flush by someone competent was all that was need as your still getting the same problem, where are you based as you may find an enginner local on here who has more experiance and knowledge than your previous cowboy

im afraid i can only assume youve been ripped off and mis led,

1 glowworm are better than heatline by miles

2 if all that was happening was a blocked plate then a proper flush by someone competent was all that was need as your still getting the same problem, where are you based as you may find an enginner local on here who has more experiance and knowledge than your previous cowboy

Yes exactly, i got ripped off. Not only did i have the boiler replaced as this was "cheaper" than fixing the original boiler aparently but the chap never actually finished installing properly. He disapeared also.

Like i say , i now know what the problem was and yes a simple clean would of sorted the issue.

I have been through many plumbers over the last few years and im still tyring to find one that i would use again!

Im from birmingham by the way.

Because of all this i know do alot of research to understand what a plumber should be doing when working for me. Just very hard to get any info out of alot of people on here tho!

Can i ask you what you paid him labour?

if it was less than £600 labour, then more fool you, you should of known that you wasn't getting a kitemark job for less then that!

dont forget you get what you pay for..........

Can i ask you what you paid him labour?

if it was less than £600 labour, then more fool you, you should of known that you wasn't getting a kitemark job for less then that!

dont forget you get what you pay for..........

I cant remember what i paid him, it was a few years ago.

He was here for 3/4 of a day and had 1 hour of work left maybe?

But going back to what you have quoted? So if i had paid him £600 + for a days work do you not think that is a rip off? Are you telling me you earn over £600 a day?

O and more fool me yes, im not one for going out and getting quotes and playing people of each other, i simply phone dsomeone out of yellow pages etc and said can you do this job and what do i owe you. I cant be arsed with that crap and to be honest i know a good worker in every trade apart from a plumber.

do you think i fit a boiler everyday? do you think i advertise like british gas..

i may fit one boiler a week an it would take 2 days to do it right.

but am sure you can think roughly what you paid him to "fit a central heating boiler" now like i said if it was £150 an a pint more fool you

a real trades men would come an sort any issue out for 12months free of any charge, advertise a no fix no fee policy, these questions need to be asked when you ring them for the first time.

do you think i fit a boiler everyday? do you think i advertise like british gas..

i may fit one boiler a week an it would take 2 days to do it right.

but am sure you can think roughly what you paid him to "fit a central heating boiler" now like i said if it was £150 an a pint more fool you

a real trades men would come an sort any issue out for 12months free of any charge, advertise a no fix no fee policy, these questions need to be asked when you ring them for the first time.

I think i paid something like a £1000 for him to supply and fit a boiler. I cant remember tho. I have had a massive amount of building work done with alot of trades passing through over the years.

So going back to what you charge, if it takes you 2 days thats still over £300 quid a day. Personally i think thats alot money.

Black sludge is corrosion, so are you getting air in the rads or having to top the pressure up all the time.

What inhibitor are you using, Fernox, get rid of it, and get sentinel.

What electrical work have you had done, around the time the boiler was fitted.

if it is an old system, with old pipes; and if the new boiler was fitted in less than a day, then all the old sediment will not have been cleaned out. So maybe you are just getting old sediment that is washing round in the old pipes and radiators. If this is the case, then there area couple of devices that you can fit to the Return pipe to the boiler, that will capture and trap black sediment. The two most popular area Magnaclean or a Spirovent. Each will cot you in the region of £100 and are not difficult to fit if you can do DIY plumbing. I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted at the amount of sludge they trap. After fitting one, add some Sentinel X400 which loosens old sediment, and you will be amazed how much more gets trapped.

If the system is now a sealed, pressurised one; and if you know for a fact that it does not have any leaks, never needs topping up, has the filling loop disconnected or closed, and has a good-quality inhibitor such as Sentinel X100 in it, then no new sludge should occur. You just need to trap all the old stuff.

Has onlyfitidealboilers got out of the wrong side of bed? The poster accepts he's been ripped off, as I have in the past, as I expect the 'expert' has. Ain't helpful to rub his nose in it. And how do I find a 'real tradesman'? Just wondered...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back