Blanking off a t joint. Is thus the correct cap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've moved some bathroom taps and would like to cap off the old T. Does the cap just screw on or does it need an olive? I think no olive as no pipe coming out. Should I use compound or tape or neither? Thanks for replies. I've enclosed pics.

20231207_104941.jpg
20231207_105105.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. The "correct" way to do it is to replace the tee with a straight coupler.
2. However, should work OK.
3. No olive needed.

Yeah, I did look at just switching the joint but it's so fiddly to get to. Thanks for the reply. Does it matter that the cap is quite deep and goes over the thread completely? Also would jointing compound be any yse or irrelevant as no olive.
Thanks again

The seal will be made by the rubber washer, so no need for any sealant or tape. If the cap is too deep for the seal to form correctly, just add another rubber washer.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I did look at just switching the joint but it's so fiddly to get to. Thanks for the reply. Does it matter that the cap is quite deep and goes over the thread completely? Also would jointing compound be any yse or irrelevant as no olive.

The seal, is the rubber blank, so long as the cap screws down enough to squeeze the rubber blank, that is all that needed.

Don't use that one as the compression fitting's edge can cut into the rubber seal and it can weep, for a compression joint ideally you want to use a blank and the nut from the Tee, if onto an old coupler then a wrap or 2 of gas PTFE (edit) tape around the blanks edge to help seal it up

1701954730899.png

Last edited:
Thanks Madrab. I've already done it now. I put two rubber washers in and as it is there's no weeping. Am I best leaving it or starting again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back