Bldg sand in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was laying patio wall foundations the other day when tired and on autopilot I just. Opened the bags and threw them in the mixer.
My problem, I mixed the equivalent of 2 or three 25kg bags of ballast (filled from bulk bag) and 1 of building sand (mistaken for the other ballast bag) mixing at 9:30 in dark I didn’t notice till id added the cement and turned flood lights on.
It’s 3” below ground level, 4” deep with eml reinforcement in and has 6” of normal concrete under it.
Mix was 4:1
It’s basically a four course reclaim wall a bit loosely laid (rustic) with a concrete haunch on the inside to fill with type 1 mot and wacker down for my patio top to go on.
Personal only not a customer job. It’s all really rustic, big joints, not perfectly seyarebdeep jointing looks worn and old. The bit in question is 40cm long and has 1 brick on top as it’s on a terraced bit of the garden . I used extra concrete to save using a lot of bricks. It’s 14” wide.

Do I sds drill it out and try re do or leave it?
Never done this before. At that mix I’m only really worried about frost resilience. It’s rock hard .
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. You don’t think I’ll have issues? No one uses soft sand in concrete!
It’s only in the corner but irritated me that I had done it.
Thanks for the reply. Feel a bit happier.

Sponsored Links
One bag of sand with two bags ballast can't think it will make much odds myself.:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back