Bleeder valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a radiator which is a double radiator, the problem is that one of the bleeder valves is rounded off, unable to use the bleeder key which works for the rest of the house. Do you have any suggestion with how I can fix it as this bleeder valve is on the inside panel, facing away from you as you stand infront of it. How can I fix it, remove, replace it? Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nasty. I suppose the thing is recessed into the end of the radiator too so you can't get a good grip on it.

1) Turn off both valves in case the thing disintegrates.

2) Try to get a small drill chuck onto it. It will help if you can remove the chuck from the drill.

3) If this fails, drill a hole into it and try to get it out with a stud remover, basically a hard, tapered, square spike.

4) If this fails drill the whole thing out, re-tap the thread and fit either (a) a new bleed screw, (b) a bigger screw with a fibre washer under the head or (c) a new radiator.

I suspect he has the "bartol" rads with the air vents in the panel at the backs.

Some you won't get out with semtex let alone a rad key.

Buy a brass key and spray the nipple with WD40 or similar, then try to turn it with the rad hotter than normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back