Bleeding Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When bleeding the pump, should the water spurt out like it would on the rads?

I have unscrewed the screw in the middle of the pump and at best get a little trickle of water!

I have just moved the hot water tank and the attached plumbing into a new position. The tank and pump are approx 3 feet higher up than previously. The pump makes a very bubbly humming sound when running so I think there is air in it. The sound echos through the rads too. The hot water seems to go round the rads ok except for the one which worked fine until I moved the tank and changed the position of the rad feed pipes. I understand this is just a balancing issue.

How loud is a pump when it is running, should I be able to hear it through the rads?

many thanks
Jimmy

Sponsored Links
A trickle is about right. You should have difficulty hearing the pump at all, though some are obviously noiser than others.

Thanks Oilman. That said, can you give an example of which brand of pump is likely to be a very quiet one.

many thanks
Jimmy

They're all quiet to start with, its the crud in the system that causes problems.

Sponsored Links
ok, many thanks. I will put some cleaner in the feed tank and flush the system. Hopefully that will be cheaper option than replacement.

Thanks for your help.
Jimmy

Hi, following previous posts and replies, I have listened carefully to pump and am at the conclusion the pump isnt noisy itself (if that makes sense?) The noise sounds like its rushing water through the pipes. There doesnt seem to be any vibration at all, just the sound of water rushing through the pipes which is echoing through the rads. Its quite annoying to have the constant humming. Does anyone have any ideas how to cure the problem?

many thanks
Jimmy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back