Bleeding Oil Burner...Please Advise!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya lads. need advice on bleeding my oil burner. think I stupidly let it run low and has since been filled. always at this time of the year similar happens (need to get an alarm to remind me when running low). anyways I opened The hex grub screw on end of 3"hex brass thingy as I take it this is bleed point? no sign of any oil or air etc. any ideas on what to try next? pretty unsure how to do this, some advice would be grateful. heres a photo. cheers
dscn2131yestz8.jpg

dscn2135questyhp8.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suspect you have an airlock in the pipework from the tank to the boiler.

You would be better to slacken the union nut where the flexible oil line goes into the pump to let a quantity of oil through the line to remove all air. Actually close the small brass 'fire' valve (clockwise until the wheel is loose) and disconnect and bleed into a container is best. Reconnect and reopen, anti-clockwise, the valve.

If this doesn't do it then you may have an issue with re-priming the pump due to the tank being lower than/on the same level as the boiler in which case you need to 'suck' or 'push' oil through the line.

I used to use an outboard engine priming bulb when I was a service engineer, as this sucked well on the oil line.

The hex connection you mention is the pressure gauge attachment point used in setting the working pressure of the burner. Do not adjust any other nuts/screws, etc as this will upset the burner settings.

Hi westwood! Just wondered if you have been sucessful in bleeding your oil line? Would you say the oil level in your tank is higher or lower than the pump.

On the silver casing of the pump, there is a 5mm grub screw which will bleed it. On your pic it is the bulgy bit you can see to the right of the cable :)

Sponsored Links
I notice there is a heat fusible fire valve fitted here to isolate the flex hose and burner. My set up doesn't have a valve here which is a pain. Is it OK to fit a mini ball valve (suitable for oil) instead? There is a KBB fire valve fitted to the line outside with the sensor inside the casing.

Is it OK to fit a mini ball valve (suitable for oil) instead? There is a KBB fire valve fitted to the line outside with the sensor inside the casing.

Yes, but start your own thread. Hijacking causes confusion.

On the silver casing of the pump, there is a 5mm grub screw which will bleed it. On your pic it is the bulgy bit you can see to the right of the cable :)

May as well use the forward facing allen screw, it's easier to get at, and connects to the same place until the solenoid is switched on.

Is it OK to fit a mini ball valve (suitable for oil) instead? There is a KBB fire valve fitted to the line outside with the sensor inside the casing.

Yes, but start your own thread. Hijacking causes confusion.

Oops sorry! Didn't mean to hijack. Hands typing before brain engaged. Thanks for the reply.

There may also be moisture separators in the outside part of the fuel line. It may be worth bleeding these first if they have air in them.

Good luck,
/\/\

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back