Bleeding Pump - Is This Right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house. My conventional open vented heating system has the pump on a vertical pipe just below the boiler.

I drained down to replace a couple of radiators. When I refilled, I bled the Grundfoss pump. I have never bled a pump before, and when I loosened and removed the bleed screw, I expected to hear a bit of air escaping like the radiators, followed by a small jet of water.

All I got was a slow drip (with the screw removed), about a small drop of water every 15 seconds or so. Is this normal, or is there a problem with the pump? How should a pump bleed go, as I say, I've never had any experience of doing one?

Sponsored Links
You have done the job correctly, if there was air in the pump you would have heard it hiss out and spit a bit, a steady drip indicates that the pump is full and no air exists time for a cuppa! ;)

Thanks Boilerman. After moving house, and trying to sort out a basically sound ch system that needed a couple of new rads, I'm relieved that I can now
A) Stop spending
B) Get 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' off my back for a while

I just imagined I would get a jet of water from the pump bleed, similar to what you get from a rad. You've set my mind at rest.

Time for a tea and a large JD!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back