Blinkin shower......again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Triton t100 xr shower, it packed up just under 3 months ago after having it for over 2 years, I phoned Triton and they said they do a £95 repair, fixed price (anything wrong they will fix)

The fitter said the board had blew, (i could see a black mark on it)

I went to use the shower this morning and it wont turn on, I pull this switch on the ceiling and press the button on the shower, but nothing.

I phoned Triton and they said as its a few days under there 3 month parts guarentee they will send someone out and it will be free of charge to fix.

sounds great? ..........they wont be coming out for 1 week!!

My question is can I test if there is any power coming out of the switch on the ceiling?
The light on the switch lights up but as the shower will not turn on Im not sure if there is anything wrong with the switch, and if its a non shower fault Triton will charge me £68 for the call out :(

I have recently changed my old wired wylex fuses on the fuseboard to the push in trip switch type, same amps (32 for the shower)...they have been changed for about 3 months or so.

I took the cover off the shower unit and there isnt any signs of burns etc, this is the reason im thinking the ceiling switch?

regards
Nifty

Sponsored Links
check if you have power at the connector block in the shower.
sounding like a faulty pull cord.

Sponsored Links
The switch was on my mind, How can I check there is power in the connector block inside the shower?

Ok Thanks for the help.

I do have a multi meter but do not know how to use it.

Ive just started an Electrics course at college but only into week 3!

Think my option would be to buy a new switch and fit that?

check the connections and look for any burnt connections thats a sign of them loose etc.

I have already, that was the first thing I did.

No burn marks, no sign of anything wrong apart from the shower not turning on.

I have a Fluke 87 111 true rms multi meter, but have no idea what setting to put it on to test, is this something you can describe or not?

i'm a plumber not an electrician.
haven't you got the manual for it ?
surely you know what volts AC is on the meter.

Ive just downloaded the manual and will be having a read up.

Yes I know the volts AC on the meter but have no idea what the other buttons/connections do.

Thanks for the help I really appriciate it.

Hi, if the switch (roof) is easy to get to personally i would prefer to check for voltage there than standing in a shower where there may be water etc.

Make sure you know how to use your meter then measure across the live and neutral at the switch. You should have two sets of red or brown wires and two sets of black or blue. If you cant easily see the next bit turn off the poewer at the CU before fiddling with the switch. On the switch where the wires are connected one side should be marked supply or in and the other load or out . Once you have identified these turn the power back on at the CU. At the switch measure across the red/brown and black/blue on the supply side you should get a reading around the 240v then do the same with the other red/brown and black/blue on the load or out side. If the reading here is zero pull your switch and measure the same two again should now read 240 ish. If it doesnt then your switch is at fault.

please do not do any of this until you are sure you know how to use your meter.

Thank you STI

I managed to check the wire connector inside the shower unit, and im happy as it was reading 239, meaning there is power getting into the shower and the switch is not at fault.

now you have 239v at the connector block the live will then go to the tco on top of the heat can then to the power pcb.
check you have live on bothsides of the tco.

the on neon is powered by the control pcb so could be a faulty on either pcb at the moment

check you have the 10 pin lead plugged in fully to the pcb.

Hi

I was only trying to find out if there was power going into the shower as the fault will now lye with Triton as its just under 3 months since they repaired it last time.

Thanks for the replys, Ill update when Triton have fixed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back