Block laying rate———am I being skanked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I get a rate for laying laying some 100mm concrete blocks and aerated blocks of £2.00 a block.

Job is in the West Midlands and consists of a single story kitchen extension. I’m ok with the rate but find I am now being invoiced to include the area of a patio window of 6m2 = £240. build is very straight forward and other than the patio window only other is the kitchen window .

question is does a quote of £2 a block normally include large voids such as this patio window. ???
cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
It depends if the rate is all in to include things like forming openings, installing ties, lintels etc.

Or if the m2 rate is purely for laying blocks and then everything else that is not laying a block is chargeable - in which case you should have been quoted abd agreed the relevant rates beforehand.

Who gives quotes by the block/brick???
I've always priced the job in its entirety because there are many variables on play.
Access is a good one.
If you need someone to barrel sand, cement and bricks/blocks from the front of the property to the back, that will push the price up.
Customer doesn't provide tea and biscuits = price goes up.
Etc, etc.

Ok, just to clarify, the bricky quotes £2 to lay a block, not make the tea, not to sing not to supply, just to lay the blocks. The job is as simple as it gets. That was the simple agreement.

Sponsored Links
Are the blocks already in the correct spot to be laid?
Is the mortar already mixed and ready on the spot board?
Is someone else doing the cuts?
What about dpc, cavity trays, wall ties, insulation?
Who's installing them while the blocks are being laid?

Bloody Hell, what a load of irrelevant questions/observations.
The price stated is to LAY a block, which obviously includes laying it level and pointing it up. Nothing more, nothing less, so is the normal approach to charge for a patio cavity. That’s all I’m asking.

Bloody Hell, what a load of irrelevant questions/observations.
The price stated is to LAY a block, which obviously includes laying it level and pointing it up. Nothing more, nothing less, so is the normal approach to charge for a patio cavity. That’s all I’m asking.
Why the debate then?

But he's not just laying blocks though is he? He's (presumably) also fitting cavity trays, wall ties, cavity closers, lintels etc?

Anyway, why don't you just ask him why he's charging extra for an opening if you think he should'nt be?

But he's not just laying blocks though is he? He's (presumably) also fitting cavity trays, wall ties, cavity closers, lintels etc?

Anyway, why don't you just ask him why he's charging extra for an opening if you think he should'nt be?
Then he will have to charge more, because he only charged for laying the blocks and nothing else.

Geez, why can’t anyone just accept the agreement was as I described. It’s no good saying you should have said this or you should have said that and what inside leg measurement he has. The deal was as I described.
From my understanding of the sector a price per meter or per block if you like is a common approach. As is a flat price or day rate.
I know it’s open to different opinions, I’m more than happy with that, I simply wondered what the view was.
if there is honesty that must be dozens of you Bricky’s that have quoted a per brick or block rate.

Always the trouble with forums is that it brings out the smart arse key board warrior’s each trying to show his dick is bigger than the next ones. Of course that’s IMHO

If the agreement is as you described then tell him you'll be paying him his rate per block and that's that isn't it?

Geez, why can’t anyone just accept the agreement was as I described. It’s no good saying you should have said this or you should have said that and what inside leg measurement he has. The deal was as I described.
From my understanding of the sector a price per meter or per block if you like is a common approach. As is a flat price or day rate.
I know it’s open to different opinions, I’m more than happy with that, I simply wondered what the view was.
if there is honesty that must be dozens of you Bricky’s that have quoted a per brick or block rate.

Always the trouble with forums is that it brings out the smart arse key board warrior’s each trying to show his dick is bigger than the next ones. Of course that’s IMHO
No, doesn't work like that.
I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up and wants to find mortar ready on the spot board, blocks lined up where needed and someone doing all the extras as per my previous post.
Then the £2 per block are not such a great deal anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back