Block paving driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0059.JPG
I have to move a fence about a foot into this block paving driveway. I know it means deconstructing the edging and some of the adjacent blocks. But I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for. Will it be relatively simple to pull up the blocks and relay them all level? Have never done block paving....
I was thinking to pull up the blocks where I have to make the fence holes, get the posts all installed, then work on relaying the block in between.

Sponsored Links
Have to move posts about one foot over. basically whole fence needs to move across one foot. It's not so long, maybe six panels in total. I was going to go for post, arris rail and galvanised brackets for the rails. Then featherboard.

Usually when you want to lift paving blocks you have to smash one out & that enables you to loosen others next to it. You are going to need several holes about a foot square to set each post in concrete, but if you are moving the fence then I presume you are moving the path edgings also so once you have those up it won't be difficult to lift the blocks .This site gives good info about all types of paving http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm

Sponsored Links
For a novice, is it fairly straightforward relaying these blocks? I imagine I'd need some extra sand to lay them on. I know that site very well, mine of information.

What is best way to secure the wall post to a wall? It's going to be 4" post. Extra long plug and screws?

If you have access to the other side of the wall, drill through and use a piece of galvanised studding near the top hinge and the bottom hinge, with a large washer each side and a (preferably stainless) nut sunk into the post.

It will not shake loose or come out like a screw might.

I am on the coast and actually use stainless and special grease for all outside work now, it is a bit dearer but not significant on the cost of the job.

Wooden posts rot and snap off at ground level, it is very hard to dig them out or replace when they are in paving. It is preferable to use concrete posts, or at least concrete spurs, which will not rust. You can use masonry paint to blend them in with the woodwork if you want, and delay weather erosion, especially on the tops.

Last edited:
@JohnD...I don't have access to behind the wall, it's a house wall. But I thought to buy some galvanised angle brackets and secure the post with those.
I think I'll stick with treated softwood for now. I thought I could use galvanised post bases. I saw them in the local yard, they are set in concrete and the post knocked into the fitting. That way any moisture drains away from the softwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back