Block Paving HELPP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a block paving drive about 21m squared (first time)

Im going to dig 250mm deep and lay 150mm compacted hardcore once done I will compact the sharp sand on top and lay the 50mm blocks my question is if I put the sharp sand down and then lay the blocks on some mortar to get them too the right level is this ok?

The drive is on a slant and will be used for a small car

Sponsored Links
lots of good advice here

IIRC driveways should be permeable these days, could be wrong though.

Hello Kent,
Laying on sand means that a compactor makes good all the bricks with a universal force (depending on your compactor it can be between 1-2 ton per sq foot). Personally I don't think you will get it any closer to level/straight by eye/hand. And there is a bit of skill with laying in mortar, you'll need seems for natural movement to prevent cracks.
But if you are up to it, dont do a bed of sand under mortar, its next to pointless in my opinion.

Depending on your soil, put membrane down under the hardcore to stop it displacing in the slope.

The link suggest I good with pages and pages of advice.

Hello Kent,
Laying on sand means that a compactor makes good all the bricks with a universal force (depending on your compactor it can be between 1-2 ton per sq foot). Personally I don't think you will get it any closer to level/straight by eye/hand. And there is a bit of skill with laying in mortar, you'll need seems for natural movement to prevent cracks.
But if you are up to it, dont do a bed of sand under mortar, its next to pointless in my opinion.

Depending on your soil, put membrane down under the hardcore to stop it displacing in the slope.

The link suggest I good with pages and pages of advice.

SO it will hold up just using mortar and hardcore?

Sponsored Links
In short, yes.

They are called rigid drives. I've done the donkey work for you, here is the link directly to the area you want (from the original link suggested)

http://www.pavingexpert.com/flags_driveways01.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help! one more question I have currently tested out laying the blocks on mortar and they seem 100% SOLID and there only sitting on top of soil! I have used about half an inch of mortar maybe slightly more will this be ok? As I will have already made the base once the mortar is on top and set off it can't move itself off the base so I'm guessing that the amount of mortar used is not a problem as long as there is enough to keep the blocks in place......

also the reason for using mortar is I have a bit of experience with using it and I have some flags next to the drive already down and they need to be level with the blocks so by using mortar I can put as much or as little needed to match the paving flags

The layers (hardcore, mortar and blocks) help to cushion the weight. The overall depth is a factor as is each layer. Anything less than 250mm depth bedding and you'll struggle. How deep the mortar is is open to a bit of playing about. I would keep it to at least 50mm personally, and on top of 250mm bedding.
Its really up to you, depends on your conditions and how lucky you are but thicker is better

Yes, a new drive or increasing an existing drive more than 5m2 (I think its that little) will require either to be permeable or have planning consent. Sorry, I don't know the current legislation if its a straight relaying an existing driveway. But if there is an issue, simply install a drainage gully before the pavement into a soakaway (on your land).
OP please beware the site is about exchanging ideas and experiences, I haven't covered everything you need to know, only suggested some areas to consider. Please make sure you do everything by the book or accept the risks
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back