Block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just spent the day scraping moss from a large area of block paving. There doesn't appear to be any sand left in the joints - just mud so I'm wondering what best to do with it to make it look nice and deter the weeds?
My thoughts are :
1. I could try pressure washing the mud out then re-sand the joints. Also some weed killer before the sand goes in.
2. Lift the blocks in small areas, pressure wash them and replace / re sand
3. Re do the lot with new blocks but retaining the base layer which seems ok. Maybe a new bed of sand if required. Trying to avoid this because of the costs of the blocks and whacker plate etc.

Can anybody recommend the best thing to do?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can pressure wash the blocks but don't wash too much sand out just the remains of the moss. Wait for a couple of consecutive dry days then just sweep in some more kiln dried sand. If weeds appear just spray with pathclear or use one of those wire brushes on a broom handle.

my uncle used to mix rock salt with the sand and use that to fill. it stopped a lot of the weeds/moss
i keep meaning to do the same, (yet to get around to it ) on ours , which is covered with moss and we scrap it out and refill - use a wire brush
NOT a recommendation - just illustration
i got one which came with 3 spare heads - i think in lidl , much cheaper

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back