Blocked drain.. Help..! Now with pictures. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottle trap! Are you having a laugh? Those hideous things that clog up more quickly than a Dutchman at a family wedding?

I agree they clog up, thats what they are there for, with "u" traps the mess is sent down the line and sometimes more difficult to remove. Bottletraps easy to unscrew and clean out. I would rather do that than get rodding in a manhole further down the line

Sponsored Links
ok... I think i have know what the falt is now... its to do with the part of pipe that is under the unit.. and the part that is at the top...

I have removed the rubber bung and this has given me a lot more movement in the fixed part bit... i filled up the sink and pulled the plug and within seconds the water had gone...

But 1 problem...

I then ran the tap for about 5 mins.. with my hand down the 4" pipe feeling the water run out of the 2" pipe... as i was there nothing happened.. I was worried the big pipe did have a block in it and it was just taking time to fill up again... so i filled the sink again and pulled the plug.. again it was going very very fast. I could even see the water spinning down the plug hole when there was 6" of water still in the bowl.....but then... i heard a guggle and could hear the 4" pipe filling up.. :eek:

I put the plug back in but still ended up with a few pints all over the floor...

Now i think this happened because the rubber bung was missing.. and just because of the volume of water i was putting down atsuch a fast pace.. so if anything its now too fast for the 4£ pipe to handle...

I am 100% sure itsnot blocked though... Ill get soe more pics to show what I mean...

ok here are more pics.... It has to be a problem with the pipe that comes from joint 1 until it goes in the ground..... the pipe is all fixed ad all at right angles.. by removing the rubber bung it game more movement to angle the top part down.. but this in turn raised the bottom part...

Do they make flexable cable that i could just go from the U bend strate into the 4" hole?

sink1.jpg
sink2.jpg
sink3.jpg

heard a guggle and could hear the 4" pipe filling up..

If it really was filling, then the volume of water you were throwing down will not be the cause. A 4" pipe can take five times the volume that you can put through a 40mm pipe. And it is less easy to block.

But, if you thought you had identified an air bubble in the 40mm pipe, fix that, first.

Sponsored Links
within seconds though the 4" was empty again.. .. and it really was filling as I watched it spill over from the edges :( could not get the plug back in fast enough :rolleyes:

How am i going to fix the fault with the angle of the pipe? do they make 45' as well as 90' ones? could i just cut the down pipe in half and put a 45' bend strate down into the 4" pipe?

Ok.. removed the rubber bung.. sink emptied very quickly.. put it back incase the 4" over flows again.. and it causes the angle to change and the sink to back fill... Its either the angle.. or the air tightness of the rubber bung thats causing it.....

I am going to have to replumb the last part.. but im not sure how to do it.. could i just get some felxi hose and cut the pipe half way down and fee the flaxi hose through the rubber bung ? surly its just a drop so the fact that its flexable should not make much odds.

C`mon Name+ Shame the lash up builder :LOL: I can just see the white waste dropping into the floor :rolleyes: There`s a gulley trap in the 100mm.pipe below the rubber plug you mention....still a bleedin` lash up.Is the kitchen on an outside wall.like I said waste---gulley---manhole....FFS it`s not rocket science.. you`d think these builders could manage it using a bit of plastic pipe :rolleyes: give me 18th C.house any day even with rising damp My psychic eye tells me I`m right on this one.Ilike drains :LOL: Leave the bung out and the place will fill with pongs :mad: Do it temporarily if you like

another update...

Its the rubber bung... The rubber bung causes the pipe to be air tight.. this then causes a air bubble in the pipe and that stops the water from flowing freely..... :confused:

No matter what angle I put the pipe at.. as soon as I put the rubber bung in it causes the pipes to back fill... Remove it and away the water goes...

Can I just leave this bung out?

Or...

can i make a hole into it and then feed a smaller 10mm tube into that hole.. then string the 10mm tube up in the air to the hight of the sink.. that way water wont go down it but it will make the pipe not air tight... but it will still be water tight...

Nige F said:
C`mon Name+ Shame the lash up builder :LOL: I can just see the white waste dropping into the floor :rolleyes: There`s probably a gulley trap in the 100mm.pipe below the rubber plug you mention....still a bleedin` lash up.Is the kitchen on an outside wall.like I said waste---gulley---manhole....FFS it`s not rocket science..give me 18th C.house any day even with rising damp My psychic eye tells me I`m right on this one.Ilike drains :LOL:

The kitchen is on a outside wall yes....

Im not sure what you mean by gulley trap ... I rodded the large pipe for 15 foot and could not find any thing stuck in it...

Gulley trap is just the same as the trap under your sink..but in 100mm. brown plastic....keeps the sewer gas from coming out ...BUT it should be outside , with the sink waste going in thru a grating.....you`ve got an air bubble between the gulley trap and sink trap..........I`m going to charge your "builder" for this :LOL:

ok this sounds like it then.... I looked up gulley trap's on google andthe pipe does indeed bend and was a little tricky to get through after about 20".. so im guessing this is the gulley trap...

What I have now done is to insert a 10mm tube i had cicking about.. I slid it down the side of the air tight rubber bung thing.. this now allowes me to have the rubber bung in without it being air tight... The result is the water flows away super fast.. and it cant leak out onto the floor should the 100mm pipe back up.. I have raised the other end of the pipe and stuck it to the underside of the sink draining board...

Result is .. it all works correctly.... But.. i know this is not how it should be fixed.. so how should it be done?

For free by the builder and a cheque sent to me ;) As I`ve said, with an outside gulley and the waste thru the wall into it........have a word with your local council Building Control.........ask them who passed it. My psychic eye never lies....... I`m off out now it`s stopped raining

ok.. the sink now works totally fine.....

BUT..

When I used the washine machine.. as soon as it drained it filled up the 4" pipe and started to leak out and overflow onto the floor.. I Turned off the washing machine and within seconds the water level in the 4" pipe had gone and it was like normal again....

Im sure I cant have a blockage.. and the water is running free now... This seems like a new fault were the water volume is just too much for the pipe... is this caused by the gulley trap being underground?

After following reading this thread from the beginning, in your first post you quote:-
"so I know the blockage must be further on down the 4 inch pipe. I got one of them flexible drain un blocker things. I pushed it down the 4 inch pipe and with a little bit of a wiggle I managed to get the full 15 foot of it down there… When I pulled it back there was a little…but not much muck on the end of it. So I thought I would go outside to the inspection chamber and try to poke it from the other end. I did this (in the chamber that’s about 6 feet from my kitchen sink)"
and in your last post you mention:-
"When I used the washinwashingne.. as soon as it drained it filled up the 4" pipe and started to leak out and overflow onto the floor."

Im just wondering have you got another manhole/inspection chamber?
As you say you pushed 15 foot of rods down the 4" pipe and you say your manhole is 6 feet from your kitchen sink?

Unless your 4" pipe is the start of the main flow, you wouldnt be able to do that, if its an ancillary flow entering the manhole, it would be cut off and benched, stopping the rod

sometimes the flow maybe going to another chamber?
Just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back