Blocked drain.. Help..! Now with pictures. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen traps (15 yrs ago) where the kitchen sink waste pipe goes down the inside of the wall into a pipe integral with the gully. However these were specially designed items and had the trap part outside with the usual square grill so that u bend could be cleared. Tried to see if anything like this is on web but haven't located it as such yet.

Do you have a 5-6 inch approx square grille just outside the wall opposite to where the 4" pipe is inside.

Sponsored Links
no i dont have this. the only thing is the inspection chamber.. and then a man hole cover.. when I lift the man hole its about a 8 foot drop to open topped pipes.. i think this is just the toilet outlet though...

Im stumped... unless when i put the 15 food rod in it bent back the other way and went towards the other side of the house and were the toilet sink is....

Im going to try some drain rods next... I have defently fixed the draining problem as the sink drains perfect now.. the only problem is that if anything its too good.. and the pipes underground cant cope with the volume of water that is now so freely flowing :(

jthorne said:
I have defently fixed the draining problem as the sink drains perfect now.. the only problem is that if anything its too good.. and the pipes underground cant cope with the volume of water that is now so freely flowing :(

As others have said, if the 40mm pipe can handle the volume then the 100mm pipe isn't going to have a problem!

area of a circle = pi x r x r (sorry dunno how to get a little squared symbol!)

area of cross section of 4cm pipe = 13cm2
area of cross section of 10cm pipe = 79cm2

I figured that because the water fills up the pipe and then is gone seconds later.. that maybe it was some sort of air pocket problem or something.. that was taking time to pop and let the water go down.....

Im really not sure... but something is allowing running water to empty no matter how much i put down there..... but high volumes all at once get stuck....

Im going to try rodding it anyway to be sure... after that... its time for me to call a plumber out.... although I dont know what else thay can do that i already havent

Sponsored Links
If there is a trap in the 4" pipe then it is extremely bad practice to leave it without some way of cleaning it out.

When you remove the rubber bung and 40mm pipe from the end can you get your hand/arm far enough down to feel whats there? It is quite possible that the trap is partially full of gunk. This may leave enough room to cater for rate of flow from sink (gravity) but not enough for the rate the WM pumps out at.

Do a James Herriot on the 4" pipe even if you cant get the very long glove. You will need to enlarge the hole in the cupboard floor.

If this is the problem I would certainly make my feelings about the inaccessible trap known to the builder.

This is ridiculous.

1. Do you have a soil stack?
2. Does it have a vent?
3. Is the vent clear?

area of a circle = pi x r x r (sorry dunno how to get a little squared symbol!)

Hold down the ALT key then type 0178 then when you let go of the ALT key the ² will appear as if by magic.
Another ALT code I often use is ALT 0186 = º
Or ALT 0176 = a smaller °
ALT 0188, 0189 and 0190 are ¼ ½ and ¾ respectively

The most comprehensive list I found of these ALTcodes is HERE

§ÎÛgßÃߟ

Thanks for that info, slugbaby .... I just noticed that it only works with number key pad and that number lock must be on. This might help others. :D ², º,¼,½,¾, :D

Softus said:
This is ridiculous.

1. Do you have a soil stack? - Pass
2. Does it have a vent? - ermmm pass
3. Is the vent clear?
- hummm pass

jobloggs said:
If there is a trap in the 4" pipe then it is extremely bad practice to leave it without some way of cleaning it out.

If this is the problem I would certainly make my feelings about the inaccessible trap known to the builder.
And mine ..several posts ago :LOL: :LOL: I`ve won this one, guys ;) I just hope the plumber doesn`t charge too much to reiterate what my psychic eye has told me :eek:

jthorne said:
Softus said:
This is ridiculous.

1. Do you have a soil stack? - Pass
2. Does it have a vent? - ermmm pass
3. Is the vent clear?
- hummm pass
Well, I have no idea why you can't answer the questions. If you don't know what they mean then please just ask.

In any case, you've just created a 10mm vent at low level.

It seems likely that you have a combination of faults and latent faults. For example, if the waste run under the cupboard is uphill, then it might have "worked" until there were other problems.

You might have a trap under the cupboard/floor - it might be blocked.

You seem to have a horizontal 110m pipe somwhere between sink and manhole - it might be partially blocked, although unlikely.

You might have no vent to the soil stack, although hard to believe with a new build, but there might be a shared vent, or a blocked one.

You need to eliminate all possible faults and remedy them, not just live with the 10mm pipe stuck somewhere that it shouldn't have to be.

Some posts by spammers have been removed.
You seem to have a problem understanding that this is a UK forum, as things on the other side of the pond work differently.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back