Blocked drains/sewer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this becoming a frequent problem ? Our drain/sewer was blocked to within 1" of the manhole cover in July, this year. I manged to free it eventually. In amongst everything there were whole broad beans, and white paper squares, which I am told are facial tissues, which do not disintegrate like toilet paper.
The drain/sewer was again blocked on27th August, and about to overflow into the garden. Yet again there were broad beans and peas amongst the mess. I phoned Yorkshire Water, and they attended and cleared it the following day. I was told that if it occurred again, contact them and they would come and investigate the cause.
We have lived in the house for 40 years without any such problems, so it looks like someone further 'up' the system is the culprit. I am beginning to suspect a nursery about 100 yds away, but as yet do not know if they are on the same sewer system as our cul-de-sac.

Sponsored Links
And the question is:
Is this becoming a frequent problem ?

If you have had to clear it twice, in such a sort period of time, it could well be, but as Yorkshire Water have suggest to you, I would wait until it happens again and if that is very soon, your answer would be Yes.

But I guess you would have come to that conclusion yourself!

Is this becoming a frequent problem ? Our drain/sewer was blocked to within 1" of the manhole cover in July, this year. I manged to free it eventually. In amongst everything there were whole broad beans, and white paper squares, which I am told are facial tissues, which do not disintegrate like toilet paper.
The drain/sewer was again blocked on27th August, and about to overflow into the garden. Yet again there were broad beans and peas amongst the mess. I phoned Yorkshire Water, and they attended and cleared it the following day. I was told that if it occurred again, contact them and they would come and investigate the cause.
We have lived in the house for 40 years without any such problems, so it looks like someone further 'up' the system is the culprit. I am beginning to suspect a nursery about 100 yds away, but as yet do not know if they are on the same sewer system as our cul-de-sac.
Have you checked further up the line, mine used to block quite often but did not realise it was cause by a blockage in next access which we did not know about as it was buried under a rockery, once that was cleared ours was fine.

Yes, it looks like becoming a frequent problem for me, but I hope not. Yorkshire Water employee yesterday, confirmed that facial tissues are becoming a big nuisance, and told me that idiots are also flushing cat litter down their toilets - result - it swells in contact with water, causing blockages.

Sponsored Links
foxhole, and big-all, Thanks for your suggestions. As regards neighbours I will leave that for the time being. And, yes, Yorkshire Water did it without charge.
I think that the cause is persons are putting things down the toilet which should not be flushed away. There is no soil or similar to suggest that there is a broken pipe underground, and that soil is entering and blocking.

foxhole, and big-all, Thanks for your suggestions. As regards neighbours I will leave that for the time being. And, yes, Yorkshire Water did it without charge.
I think that the cause is persons are putting things down the toilet which should not be flushed away. There is no soil or similar to suggest that there is a broken pipe underground, and that soil is entering and blocking.

the water companies are now fully responsible for all shared drains
from the point they become shared
in other words the first point underground that water from 2 properties or more merge
typical example
http://www.stwater.co.uk/households/waste-water-and-sewers/responsibility-for-sewer-pipes/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back