Blocked H overflowing vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating system is a fairly conventional pumped system, gas-fired boiler, pump, two 2-way valves, HW cylinder, radiators, F&E tank in loft.

The system is 17 years old and has serious sludge build up (17 yrs worth) which has blocked the H causing the vent pipe to overflow into the expansion tank. British Gas wanted to sting me for £773 for a powerflush and Magnaclean installation.

So far I've treated the water with Sentinel X400 left for 4 weeks, then drained down system removed all the radiators and use a pressure washer to blast all the sludge out of the radiators and a lot of sludge it was. The system runs a lot better now but the H is still partially blocked as magnet proves.

What is the best course of action to clear this iron deposit in the H? What will an air separator do to help?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
If the 'H' pipework is accessible then I'd just replace it all.

Edit: one minute too late; bah.

Sponsored Links
the air sep is meant to stop air being drawn into the system.. if ya boiler has a overheat stat fitted ya could combine the cold feed and the open vent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back