Blocked Heat Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Baxi Duo Tech Combi 33 boiler fitted to my small bore system in 2010, system is approx. 30 years old. When the boiler was fitted I suspect no corrosion inhibitor was added to the system. Over a period of time I lost flow to a radiator, this was resolved by renewing a completely blocked section of pipework and inhibitor was added. I now have one radiator that does not get as hot as the others, the problem does not appear to be getting worse and may be resolved by correct balancing. The main issue now is that I get repeated blocking of the secondary plate heat exchanger resulting in a loss of hot water, large flakes are being removed. The plumber who has been cleaning out the heat exchanger recommended replacing the Fernox TF1 filter on the return to the boiler with a Adey Magnaclean, this has been carried out, however the problem remains.
I am unsure if the primary heat exchanger has been contaminated and the rust is slowly been carried forward and blocking the secondary?
Today I removed 2 radiators to assess the level of debris, the radiators were significantly contaminated and when I agitated the radiators, more rust was removed. I am considering removing all the radiators and giving them a thorough flush/agitation to remove a large proportion of the debris, when the radiators are replaced, will the corrosion build up again?
I understand that power flushing is not effective with a small bore system? I am reluctant to replace the small bore pipework as I have concrete floors and chipboard floors upstairs.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Apologies for information overload!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back