blocked pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to the forum and I've had a look but not managed to find anything exactly the same so was wondering if anyone could help?
I have an old toilet that blocks randomly and needs quite a bit of poking with a drain snake to clear it, the plumber that came initially said that the old iron pipe was starting to rust and it would just keep doing it until eventually it couldn't be cleared.
The pipe from the toilet to the stack is only a few feet and there it is joined by the bath and sink pipes into the stack am I right in assuming if they have no problems then the problem itself is before that? and if so how easy would it be for me to just change that section of pipe to plastic rather then the whole stack which I think would be beyond my level!
Thanks for any help or advice it will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've checked its not a symponic system by pouring a big bucket of water down and it drains as quicky as you can pour it so that rules that out I believe?

Ummmm. Can't see the rust problem being an issue. Old cast iron piping last for years. From toilet to stack you say is only a few feet. How many and does it look like it's got a gentle slope to it? Have you any pics to look at?

It might be that materials are being put down the WC that have not passed through a human body.

Sponsored Links
I'd say 2 feet literally it goes out the side through the wall and down the pipe. I thought it might be at the join as it looks like its a bit rusted on the outside the slope on it is quite good though I can take some pictures and measurements if that'll help but I'll warn you its not the prettiest toilet after all the work clearing it every other week but I'm planning on replacing it hence the wanting to fix the solution.
It's not the waste being flushed as we've switched to non-quilted paper and it's happening fairly frequently it didn't happen for the first year or so of us living here so it's something that's built up maybe I've tried some other acids from b and q etc with no effect

Have you been redecorating the bathroom and swilling out the grout down the toilet? Just a thought. :?: Find the problem - replacing the soil pipe won't necessarily make the cure.

It's in a room on its own I've only managed to take the wallpaper off so far! There is two off them in the house yeah but none off those kind of things end up down the loo we're all acutely aware of it and don't want to upset it anymore!
The only thing I have done with the plumbing is I've replaced the bath and sink in the room next door but they never experience any problems?

A picture here will save you ££££ ;) Old Toilet - probably the syphon getting weak - needs a drop valve to replace it - Or a high level cistern - 2 gallons from 6 foot up a wall will shift anything :D

I'll get some photos up later today but it's not that it's not clearing things its blocking and bringing back up some things when you clear it, it fills upto the rim on the toilet before draining very very very slowly down but not with all the waste like I say it's not everyday it's once a fortnight if we're lucky. The toilet I have installed at the moment is a high level cistern so it's getting some pressure from behind it!

If possible take the toilet out and see if anything is stuck down there like a toy or something. Paper can get wrapped around it and build up hence the blockage every couple of weeks.

thank you all very much for your help I took the toilet off and surprise surprise like you all thought the pipe is fine but there was some hard material blocking about half the pipe for the first half a foot or so but it obviously was the problem had to break it off and flush down the rest after taking it off the inside of the pipe and now all is good!
It was like compressed card or perhaps some decorating residue but no ones claiming knowledge! All your help has been appreciated saved me putting it off and off as a big job and big cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back