Blocking off open pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there. Could anybody offer a bit of advice please?

I have had a sink in my bedroom removed, and I want to block off the main pipe that the sinks waste pipe used to be connected to as water runs out of it when I drain out the bath water. Would doing this cause problems with air pressure? Any advice would be great. Cheers

Sponsored Links
If that's now redundant then ideally the old waste would be tracked back to the main waste run and cap it there to avoid any future issue with the old pipework.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure i will be able to track it back at the moment, so I just wanted to use a blanking cap to block off the open section. Would that cause any problems? Does air need to escape, and would blocking it off be an issue? Thanks again.

No, air doesn't need to escape, if anything depending on the size of the main waste run, air needs to be let in. Cap it off and see if there's any change when the bath drains or if you get drain smells in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, that's what I was hoping. Thanks you for the advice, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back