Blocking up fireplace advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice - recently have had gas fire place removed etc and now left with the attached image. The chimney wall is back to back with our neighbours chimney (semi-detached house).

Question is - can I block up the existing hole with usb board and insulation behind it? the chimney isn't capped.

I plan to put an electric fire insert in a half stud wall (rough design attached). this will consist of stud frame and mdf cladding. so the usb board would be completely covered by new half stud feature. Also unsure where to put vent to allow chimney to breathe.

Any advice appreciated! trying to keep costs down and so as much on my own too.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 20.32.55.png
IMG_3506.jpeg

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why not go wider, and higher, removing more plaster to reveal more of the chimney breast face?
Then post another pic of what you've exposed.
And a pic showing the chimney stack on your side?
Look for a metal bar under the "arch" bricks?
Is the new 4 x 2 lying on hearth infill soil?

Thanks @ree - that could be a good idea to open wider and higher, although really like the cladding look. Just unsure if venting the usb/plasterboard (which blocks up hole) and putting another vent on the cladding face would be pointless or actually effective.

Should have mentioned in original post - the 4x2 is just there as a ledge for me to kneel/stand on. It's completely filled with soil, bits of mortar and random bricks - planning on patching this up too as would like to carpet the entire area.

Worried about moisture/dampness building if I don't include vent(s) or should I just get the chimney blocked/ capped at the top. Sorry totally unknown territory here regarding chimneys!

OP,
I'm suggesting that you only remove plaster to reveal the brickwork.
Fireplaces & flues left dormant need cleaning & sweeping, & sometimes require smoke testing.

The hearth infill will usually be surrounded by a fender wall with wall plates on top to support the trimming joists.
Any of this timber could be rot affected? It needs examining.
The soil & rubble needs digging out to about 300mm depth.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes I get you now. I check under from a hatch in same room and there’s a c shape brick wall under the hearth surround area up.

Thanks for your advice - really appreciated! Think I’m out of my depth with this one and not wanting to create problems for myself down the line. Think I’ll get the professionals and in…

In my opinion the TV is far too high for comfortable viewing. If the heating in the room is ok I would not bother with the new fire which will be encroaching into the room with the added section.
I say put skirting across the front with a vent there. the red bit is the fireplace hole the sides are flat to the original brick but the bottom starts flush with the top of the skirt giving an air gap under - also the back section of the red is also stood off the back original brick so that you have an air flow under and behind the green area. The air gap is also useful for routing any wires for the TV, games console blueray that can now sit in the red hole.
Then your TV can come right down (blue ) to a better viewing position.
IMG_3506.jpeg.jpg

@aveatry I really like that idea - as the tv height has been a worry. Plus the fire inserts aren’t cheap - and it’s really only for aesthetics…not worth the hassle or expense.

That’s a great solution and one I’ll go with - thanks, really appreciated!

Great. The sides inside the old fireplace space can be dot and dab plasterboard and the back section stood off with 2x2 battens, same as the base.
To fit any buleray etc make sure that the hole will be wide enough. The vent at the front need not be a nasty plastic thing - look for something nice, I have oak veneered skirting so I have an oak made wooden one.
I did some research in TV height and the bottom edge should be at your eye height whilst in the normal tv watching position, or there about. I think it was that its a relaxed comfortable position for your eyes if they are looking slightly up but without the need to tilt your head.
If you can get some sockets low down at the back then even better so the tv can be plugged in there and the cable go straight down and round the back and up the chimney out to the tv via a hole behind the tv.
Also you should have your chimney capped to stop rain and hail but with an air gap to maintain air flow.
Another way is with the vent at the top of the fireplace hole ( the roof of the hole ) so its out of sight but you need to shroud it to prevent any debris falling through it and onto your equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back