blockwork mortar and frost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been looking at some of the brick and blockwork that my bricklayer did at the start of December.

I have noticed some of the mortar has flaked lightly on the surface which I assume may have been due to frost. Once the bad weather came we stopped laying but that last couple of nights were cold and although we tried to put hessian over I think we did a poor job as it blew off. Since then we have continually battled keeping the walls covered for one reason or the other - I suppose I am to blame as I took my eye off the ball a bit over xmas.

The brick layer says its looks fine to him, however I am very anxious over this stage of the build and so is there any way I can check or reassure myself of its strength?

Although I expect he will grind out mortar or take bricks down and reput them up, I don't want to start making him re-do work just to satisfy my concerns through a lack of experience. I do seem to have turned into a worrier :)

Any advice is welcome.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic, but reckon you'll be fine.

Will you be rendering or is this brick?

This is the inside skin blockwork. I suppose thats my bigger concern as it is holding things up and it will be our family home so I am really overcautious.

I will take a couple of pictures in the morning. In the rain again.

should it be really obvious if damaged by the frost?

Might have been when he jointed the bricks/blocks. Seen it loads of times on walls... and yes they are all still standing.

Stop worrying.

Sponsored Links
You sound like my bricklayer/girlfriend/everyone I talk to about this house

Can’t wait to get the shell up, I will be a lot happier then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back