Bloody Noise Complaints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse the rant....

MET office says wettest summer for 100 years, and i get a noise complaint for putting a roof on last sunday the only bloody dry day in a fortnight. and knocking in some nails on a rainy bank holiday monday.

You try and improve your lot, support the building economy, employ people, and you get told to shut up.

No wonder the country is in such a **** poor state.

I said to the woman in the council, so what do you tell farmers when they are harvesting, sorry its sunday , it maybe dry but you cant get your hay in.

Neighbours either side good as gold, the ones over the back, who built there house in a backgarden, have a swimming pool which obviously magiced iteself into being can go and die for all i car.

I am not sure if i saw their house burning down i would even go over to **** on it.

See you next tuesday.

:evil: :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
I just apologise for the noise. But really if i had to do it on a sunday i would. Seems to me everyone else does whatever they want around here so why shouldn't i ?
Dogs barking. Kids screaming (on trampolines). Music blaring out. My diy noise fits in nicely with all that. And it drowns out the pesky seagulls for a while.

well exactly, like i wanted to listen to their grand kids splashing about in the pool....

Sponsored Links
Well sadly i have been informed that i can be taken to court and enforcement notice served....

Got to love the Toss pots in the council..

Assuming your work was done at a reasonable time, i think anything after 10am on a Sunday is okay, then i don't think anyone has a valid complaint....if the council intend to make an issue of it i'd be tempted to give as good as i get and inundate them with 'several' noise complaints a week....from reversing bin wagons, to council grass cutters, to noisy kids....you get the idea...litter on pavements...uneven flag stones the list is almost endless.

Time the little Hitlers of the councils where put back in their boxes...goodluck :D

I have to say, construction noise is far more grating on the nerves than listening to children happily playing.

I often cringe when we start work the amount of racket we make particularly when constructing a roof as the sound carries further.

We keep noise levels down until after 8:00 am (we start 7:30ish), kind eh!

I alway turn my van radio down when entering populated areas. I don't allow a noisy radio at work either.

I agree with you noseall, 8.00am week days is reasonable, 9.00am saturdays and as said i think after 10am sundays is also acceptable.

I suppose it depends on the type of noise and duration, stone saws and angle grinders are probably worse but hammer drills and general knocking around can become a pain after a time.

The other thing to remember of course is most peoples property at sometime or another will need some form of noisy maintainance, the OP mentioned some works had been carried out at sometime by the complainee...a swimming pool etc, was that work carried out by Monks from a Silent Order or was there noise in the construction process....but maybe they didn't work on Sundays...ho hum

Well sadly i have been informed that i can be taken to court and enforcement notice served....

Probably misinformed

There would need to be persistent, frequent noise of an actionable nature/type on numerous occasions and several complaints from different people

Bank holidays and Sundays, rainy or not, are the precious little time people get to spend at home with their families. So if you make noise on it, expect to p*ss people off, including the neighbours who didnt complain.

Bank holidays and Sundays, rainy or not, are the precious little time people get to spend at home with their families. So if you make noise on it, expect to p*ss people off, including the neighbours who didnt complain.

So while out scrapping a living in the week, how does somebody go about doing their home maintenance?

The OP described putting a roof on and employing people to do the work. This is a bit different to the odd bit of diy and would be better scheduled for during the week imo.

Most people will and should tolerate a few hours of someone banging and sawing at a weekend. However that's different to having workmen on site booked for a bank holiday starting in the morning and doing a full shift. I don't think it's surprising that that tried the neighbours' patience tbh.

There is no difference if a nail is hit, or a saw used by a homeowner, his friends helping him, or a tradesperson.

And one or two or a few weekends its nothing in the scheme of things

There's more noise from a lawnmower than first fix roofing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back