Blown PCB - Glow-worm Flexicom 24cx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I stupidly applied 240v to 24v boiler circuit and blew the PCB. It had a big black burn on it, so I bought a new one and replaced it.
However this has not fixed my issue, the boiler just doesn't turn on. I have checked and there is power to the PCB, the boiler is just not coming on. Nothing coming up on the display. I switch the socket on and literally nothing happens apart from I can hear the timer clock on the boiler start ticking.
Any ideas what else may have been damaged or how I can check? Thinking maybe change the user interface board but if several components are likely to be damaged I may be better not to bother and just get a new boiler!
Thanks in advance.
Ben

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you wont get any DIY gas advice on here and the PCB controls aspects of appliance safety so is classed as gas work.

You are still going to have to get an RGI in to check the boiler over or install a new one. What were you trying to do in the first place before you blew the board?

Don't waste money throwing parts at a boiler when you don't really know what you are doing and could well be putting yourself and others in danger.

Bet the RGI call out looks cheap compared to the DIY option now.

Jon

Fair enough...
Basically we have a wireless thermostat and it was playing up, i.e. would turn off heating when up to temp but then wouldn't turn heating back on. I think it was the relay in the receiver. So thought I was being clever by just taking the receiver out and wiring around it so we at least had heating permanently on, not realising that the relay dropped the voltage to 24v.

Did think it might be a stat issue as you were messing with 24V. If you get a guy to come out to you and you are lucky it may be a quick simple fix but if not at least they will be able to test the majority of components and let you know where you stand.

If you pop your location or start of your post code you may find one of the guys on here may be able to help you. There are plenty of good engineers on here. I cover Lincolnshire area.

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Relays are just electromagnetic switches.

They don't change voltages.

Normally boilers are turned on by joining two wires, often low voltage 24v or mains 240v but in both cases the boiler supplies the voltage!

Some older boilers required an input of 240v to a switched live contact. But even then the boiler usually has a 240v output to external components.

Tony

Some PCBs have a code plug on them that tells the PCB which boiler it's in, as the same PCB can be used on lots of different boilers. Without the plug, the most action you'll ever get is a fault code.

Can't remember whether yours has a plug or not but I have a feeling it does. You'll need to transfer it across from the old board

You should still get a GSR Engineer in to test everything before you fire it up though, as other adjustments may need to be made to fan speeds/gas controls etc to ensure it's burning correctly

I also think there is a little thing related to the PCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back