Blown Tapes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've got a fairly new house (5 years) and i'm starting to think about fixing some of the cracks from settling etc.

However in quite a few rooms i have what's been described as 'blown tapes' what's the simplest way or repairing these? do i remove the blown section then plaster to cover up the ledges or is there some other best practice?

any advice on this one?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Once tapes have come away,or started to come away from a wall/ceiling etc, the best thing to do is take them off altogether, and and get new tapes put back on..... It's not worth doing it any other way.

Roughcaster.

I agree...and even if you do successfully stick em back then theres a fair chance they will blow somewhere else at a later date.

OK thanks guys, so is it any specific type of tape? and would it not make sense to plaster the hole behind thus preventing it happening again?

how much? some rooms worse than others, but certainly enough to cause a challenge, i guess about 20-30ft in the whole house

Sponsored Links
Filling the gap behind wont prevent your problem..it wont hurt to do it though..

You just need to go into a builderes merchants and ask for a roll of paper joint tape...i would use wallpaper paste or PVA to stick it on with...cut off a managable length and leave it to soak in a bucket of water for 5 minutes first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back