Prepping stripped wallpaper / bare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have acquired a 50 year old house which has barely been touched since new and have stripped one wall of it's paper to reveal bare plaster. There has never been any paint on the wall, only lining and wallpaper, which came off quite easily just with a bit of soapy water.

The plaster underneath is not fit for painting at present with the following issues:
Holes from fixings
Crumbling sections in corners
Poor finish in some areas
Blown in localised areas, although surface is not cracked

I'm unsure whether to merely fill the blemishes and paint, or whether to skim the whole thing, also possibly bashing off the blown sections. This particular wall is brick, however most others I hope to tackle will be plasterboard.

Not really sure if this should be in the plastering section or not, I guess any responses will determine that!

Should add that I'm an absolute newcomer to all this stuff, and have read many previous threads on the topic but am still unsure of how to proceed, so apologies if you feel it's been done to death.

Couple of (low-quality) pics showing some of the bad bits:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back