Boarding a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna have a go boarding my ensuite myself, but got a couple of questions.
Would you do the walls or ceiling first?

The height from floor to ceiling binders, is approx 2.47m, the timber i've used for the studwork is approx 37mm, in height.

Now the plasterboards are 2.4m, so should i split the gap between top and bottom and place the boards in the centre of the wall, or something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
we sometimes hide the join behind the skirting, hence gap at the bottom.

.....but, if you can avoid any joins low down in vulnerable areas - i.e. in a shower cubicle for example, then do so.

always ceiling first.

The room will be tiled to full height, no skirting or cornice.

I'm using aquapanel behind the shower.

If i had the all of the gap at the bottom, the board would be above the stud so not possible to screw to the studwork.

Loosing 70mm is not going to be easy with 37mm timber; that’s a bit mean for stud work! 3"/4" x 2” sawn (or around 47mm dried) is the norm so it’s not going to help; boarding the ceiling first will win you 12.5mm. That leaves 58mm but you need at least 20mm overlap with the board on the noggins to give adequate support.
Options I would use in preference are:

• Batten down & fix a false ceiling so you can fix full size boards direct.
• Fix an additional lump of timber on the underside of the head plate in between the studs so it will support a full size board, you can then just cut strips of PB to infill at the top.
• Ditto to above but on the sole plate.

I would avoid splitting & infilling the board in the centre as, with 2 seams, there is a big risk it will crack open!

Aqapanel is a good choice. ;)

Sponsored Links
It's 3x2 CLS, which isn't really 3x2 when you measure it. Bit annoying really.
The ceiling isn't that big, so i might just stick a couple of battens on there, got a few left over from tiling the roof on the workshop that will be ideal for the job.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back