Boarding bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in our renovation I changed the old floorboard to some wbp ply in the bathroom

A bathroom fitter came and said it's best to use tounge and groove and before he starts fitting he will have to change the floor for some t and g . He said because the floor can flop is more stable and does not shake which is better for tiling. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
When we had our floor replaced, the gentleman used marine ply as a base for tiling.

Are the joins in your ply aligned along joists?
I'm afraid I don't remember. It was some years ago and, to be honest, I wasn't looking over his shoulder. However, as I remember, the joists run along the short axis of the bathroom and it is only about six feet wide. I expect that the pieces of ply join together along the line of one or more joists. I think it would be silly if pieces of ply overhang joists, as any weight applied to the edges would be likely to bend the ply and crack the tiles.

any weight applied to the edges would be likely to bend the ply and crack the tiles.

Maybe this is what the bathroom fitter saw, and is why he now recommends re-doing it with T&G?

I couldn't say, but I do know that we have had no problems with ours: no cracking and no creaking!

I think that, provided the edges meet on top of a joist, whether ply or T&G, it should be solid.

Hang on, JBR you're not the person who's asking!

Mrbgo7546, are YOUR plywood board edges aligned along the joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back