Boarding/blocking up chimneyplace / airvent ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My little boy sleeps in the front side bedroom (i.e flanking the side of the house). There is a chimney on that side.

When we moved in 3 yrs ago the builders boarded up the chimney place (or perhaps it was just an opening, not an actual chimneyplace - I forget details) and also a wall vent, and painted it over.

(I should add that I have next to no faith in the builders, having witnessed a catalogue of disasters throughout the work.)

I'm a little worried that every year in winter my boy develops a heavy cough (often coughing many times through the night). I suspect it might be something to do with (a) the chimneyplace not being sealed off properly, and/or (b) the airvent being blocked off.

Are either of those (or anything else) a realistic explanation?
If yes, what should I do?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old chimney openings are vented to avoid possible problems in the flue itself. If it was sealed up and does not give any problems on the wall I would not worry about that.

It sounds like it is a corner front room in an old house (correct me if I am wrong). They are often one of the coldest rooms in the house and if for instance the bed is against an outside wall that may be the coldest location in the room after the window wall.

If I was you I would monitor the overnight temperature in the room and make sure he is not in any cold drafts. Going down to a local health centre for advice would be a good idea to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back