Boarding for alleyway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room that extends above an alleyway in a Victorian terrace house. In the alleyway the bottom of the joists that span it are exposed. I would like to place some form of boarding up to cover these. The alleyway is open at each end, but does not receive direct rain.

What material I am best using; I would like it to be moisture resistant and, to some extent, fire resistant.

Sponsored Links
What material I am best using; I would like it to be moisture resistant and, to some extent, fire resistant.

In that case you would be best off using summat like supalux. Are you saying you've got a ginnell with the underside of the first floor joists exposed? Any pics?

Hotrod

There are no ginnells in Hertfordshire !! You're talking about the Home Counties here , man. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

Having looked up the word ginnell then yes, although it is a short alleyway, not a long one. It is basically a route to the gardens for the terrace, and my house extends over it.

I have always assumed that what I can see are the joists - the areas between them are boarded with wood so I can only see the bottom. This space is then filled in with old insulation - which is another thing I need to address as that bit of the floor got very cold last winter.

I will try and get a picture up.

Matt

Having looked up the word ginnell then yes, although it is a short alleyway

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! :eek:

That 'll knock thousands off the value. You'll get the Leeds/Preston discount taken off.

This space is then filled in with old insulation - which is another thing I need to address as that bit of the floor got very cold last winter.

Nothing wrong with old insulation just as long as it isn't weighed down with dirt/dust etc if it is fibre-wool.

Nah you're right; it is more a quaint alleyway than Ginnell

I think I need to take up the floorboards and have a look at the insulation to see what is actually there.

Should I paint the wood with some form of preservative before boarding over it - will the boarding cause the wood to hold more or less moisture than before? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back