boarding out loft and keeping insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to board out my loft, and keep it as insulated as possible. We already have some old insulation between the ceiling joists (4x2s running at 16" centres). We then have some more insulation piled on top of the joists, so it looks like a sea of insulation up there. Ideally I would like to keep the new insulation in place.

My idea is to lay 3x2s perpendicular to the ceiling joists. The new insulation would fit between these timbers and the boards would be screwed on top.

My question is; is it safe? I'm concerned that the existing 4x2 joists will not be strong enough to support the new timbers + boards + items we're storing.

There is a big joist running parrallel to the ceiling joists (king truss?) which support the joists and another big timber (purling?) supporting the joists around the edge of the house. The distance between wall-king truss and king truss-purling is each about 2.5m.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back