Boarding up a garage ceiling and walls - a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved house and I'm looking at making part of the garage into a study. I'd be grateful for any advice - I've never done anything like this before.

The garage is brick built, detached from the Victorian house. It's got a tiled, pent roof with no felt or other covering. Inside, there are thin wooden slats under the tiles and then wooden rafters. My plan is to attach some mesh to the rafters followed by timber beams, put wooly insulation between the rafters, then put plasterboard on top, attached to the timber I've put on. My thinking here is that the timber will create a gap between the tiles and the insulation.

I'm also wanting to build a stud wall with door to partition off the rest of the garage and possibly put plasterboard over the brick walls in the study part so it feels warmer. I'll probably heat the study with an electric heater.

Am I on the right track with this, or talking nonsense? Also, the garage (and whole house) is being rewired. Should I do my stuff afterwards? I'll be getting plug sockets and light fittings in the garage (possibly recessed halogen style).

Thanks!

Edit: when I say 'beam' I probably mean battens. I've attached a photo of the roof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back