Bobski the builder...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone watch this on C4 earlier? Basically there were two builders one English and one Polish and the documentary showed the trials and tribulations of both.

Now to begin with the English came out to be very professional, as time went by he clearly was not! An absolute terrible state he left the extension he built. It seemed he was doing everything by the book too.

The Polish guy just turned up and day one dug up all the foundations, and overall was a pretty good job considering what the English builder did. Only difference was he made no profit whereas the English builder was a proper cowboy and ripped the guy off.

Now I know this is not a good reflection of the many honest builders out there, but sometimes you just cant shake off that builder culture and its hard for honest builders to build a good rep.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article4900020.ece

Sponsored Links
Just watching it on C4+1 now, does make you wonder if they purposefully found a bad english buidler, i'm sure you could find a polish one thats just as bad.
It does show how desperate some of the poles are for work though, and will work 10 hour days for 6 days a week !

EDIT - That family is bang out of order to the polish builders, i'd love to have seen how they would have acted with the english builder that was on the programme.

That english family who employed the pole were absolutely terrible to the guy, they obviously have no idea how lucky they were.
Taking a complete liberty and acting like a total arsehole to boot! People like that give clients a bad name.
The english builder was a complete cowboy!! Surely that must have been a wind up?
The roughcasting must truly be the worst i have ever seen, and i've seen some bad harling!

Why were they out of order to the poles?

They dug the foundations two foot short until the Woman told them! the builder says, "we all make mistakes",FFS.

Sponsored Links
Extra expense for having to move the manhole - he covered the cost
Few extras he did at his expense
The way they spoke to him when they had one little problem with the floor render, they acted like it was a complete disaster, obviously new to having building work done, hope the other guy does their work in future.

EddyP";p="1029433 said:
Extra expense for having to move the manhole - he covered the cost
Few extras he did at his expense

I am not a builder, but shouldn't he have allowed for things like drains?

One of the "extras" was to make correct, the rendering knocked off next doors wall, his fault.

But, yes, the pole came out tops, would'nt like to have employed either of them to be honest, very poor representation of a british bricky, who said he wasn't a builder?

The Polish guy genuinely wanted to help the young family out, thats what got me. It was a disgrace how they treated him. The only blessing was that the sparky noticed all the hard work they put in and the good job they did and got them to do his extension.

Why were they out of order to the poles?

They dug the foundations two foot short until the Woman told them! the builder says, "we all make mistakes",FFS.
I am not a builder
Now you've hit the nail on the head! (excuse the pun!).

And that contribution meant?
That contribution meant, do you know anything about building? I don't know your background but you state you're not a builder, what are you? Do you have a trade, profession, job, purpose? My point being, ok so the footings were out but he put it right. How do you know he wouldn't have corrected them anyway when he checked the plans? Unless you are some 'Super Human Being' (as I say I don't know your background, perhaps you are!), then you'll be the same as the rest of us, we ALL make mistakes.

I think I am not far off the mark when I say it was the manner in which they dealt with the Polish lad that the rest of the posters are complaining about.

EDIT:
a reference to your Ergophobia perhaps?
OH! so I take it from nickso's comment that you don't work libby lou lou?

You seemed to be in a big hurry to ask me what my contribution meant earlier but you've gone all quiet now. Perhaps you've gone out to work?

I may go quiet for a few mins,sorry, i don't sit here saying, cmon answer, i babysit, grandaughter

I need to know how posts are broken like softus does, saves time.

You say he would of put it right(foundations) when he consulted the plans? what if that was a multimillion pound job? he had the plans when he started, yes, i'm not a builder, but that would not get by me. he put it right because a non builder (sewing machinist) told him?

At the mo i don't work, but i can, doing what those muppets did, and rip the people and not the dhss.

I need to know how posts are broken
You start by clicking on the
icon_quote.gif
button.

Then pick the point where you want to respond to a particular comment or question, and click there with the mouse to set the cursor.

Then type [/quote], then press Enter, then type the text you want to write as a response, then press Enter twice.
Then click at the beginning of the next quoted line, and type [quote].

Repeat the above to add another response.

As an example, I responded to your comment by clicking the mouse just after the word "broken", then I typed [/quote], then I typed You start by clicking on the [img]//img.diynot.com/f/icon_quote.gif[/img] button.

Actually the URL was cut and pasted, but you get the drift.

I may go quiet for a few mins,sorry, i don't sit here saying, cmon answer, i babysit, grandaughter

I need to know how posts are broken like softus does, saves time.

You say he would of put it right(foundations) when he consulted the plans? what if that was a multimillion pound job? he had the plans when he started, yes, i'm not a builder, but that would not get by me. he put it right because a non builder (sewing machinist) told him?

At the mo i don't work, but i can, doing what those muppets did, and rip the people and not the dhss.
Ah sorry! my mistake.... you haven't gone out to work then?!

Sponsored Links
Back